write in to a CSV file

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
lukedevon

write in to a CSV file

Post by lukedevon »

Hi

From the following query, I am able to search specific data accurately in incoming logs.

(host="IP_1" & host="IP_2" & host="IP_3" & host="IP_4") && ("String_1:" && "String_2")

I want to write those captured data in to a csv file. I have installed CSV_OUTPUT plugin.

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstas ... s-csv.html

My question is, how can I send those selected data to the CSV file at the same time?

I found some articles online related my requirement. But most of them are not real time creating CSV files. those examples says, We have to give a specific index file to generate the csv.

I want to write in to the csv file real time, whenever searching criteria matched, it has to be written in to the csv.

can we use elasticsearch input plugin ;

elasticsearch {
hosts => "localhost:9200"
index => "index-file-name"
query => '
{"query": {
(host="IP_1" & host="IP_2" & host="IP_3" & host="IP_4") && ("String_1:" && "String_2")}
}
}

If we can use it, then what would be the search query? Can we use same query as I have used to search data?

Once found the data using elasticsearch plugin, then how can I forward the logs to csv-ouput plugin?

Can you please give me a little guide.

Thank you
Luke.
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: write in to a CSV file

Post by cdienger »

An output like like this would write to an csv file as it comes in without having to query the elasticsearch database:

Code: Select all

if [host] in ["IP_1","IP_2","IP_3"] and ([message] =~ "String_1" or [message] =~ "String_2") {
csv { 
fields => ["timestamp", "host", "message" ]
path => "/usr/local/nagioslogserver/output.csv"
}
}
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
lukedevon

Post by lukedevon »

Hi

Thank you. It works.

I have another question;

I want to execute some shell commands to cut only a specific strings in the message before the complete message sending to the csv file.
I just tested and the shell commands are working fine after the csv file has been created.

But I need to execute the shell commands before creating the csv file from the output plugin itself.

According to the example here;

if [host] in ["IP_1","IP_2","IP_3"] and ([message] =~ "String_1" or [message] =~ "String_2") {
csv {
}
}

I need to run the shell commands right after field section, where the string comes in the message.

my shell command grep some string in the message and cut only the specific strings out of it and save it to the csv file.

May I know is this doable within the output plugin ?

Regards
Luke.
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

You can use a grok match in a filter to pull this information out, store it in a field, and then save that field to the file. The filter:

grok{
match => { "message" => "(?<string>.*)" }
}
}
string can be replaced with the fieldname you'd like to use. the ".*" is a regex to select all and this would need to be changed to pull the string you want.

You can then use this as the output:

if ["" in string] {
csv {
fields => ["timestamp", "host", "string" ]
}
}
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
lukedevon

Post by lukedevon »

Thank you. It was a great help and I was able to write in to the filtered data to a file.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

lukedevon wrote:Thank you. It was a great help and I was able to write in to the filtered data to a file.
Great!

Locking thread
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com