Nagios Log Dashboard for ESXI Hosts

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
anish

Nagios Log Dashboard for ESXI Hosts

Post by anish »

Hi I have added ESXi source to Nagios log server. I would like to create the dashboard based on the message where in I can find the VCenter information .

Dashboard to be split based on Number of Host connected vCenter . Each change we perform has the vCenter Name provided. Each ESXi logsource under Program “FDM” (log) provides the vCenter Information for which the below Elastic search query can be used .

Code: Select all

curl -XGET 'http://sesklnglsipd01/nagioslogserver/api/backend/logstash-2017.04.19,logstash-2017.04.18/_search?pretty&token=330c628dd3e2b82de24b83a2a025c0b3d598c9d0' -d '{
  "query": {
    "filtered": {
      "query": {
        "bool": {
          "should": [
            {
              "query_string": {
                "query": "*SESKWRESVC01"
              }
            }
          ]
        }
      },
      "filter": {
        "bool": {
          "must": [
            {
              "range": {
                "@timestamp": {
                  "from": 1492518959378,
                  "to": 1492605359378
                }
              }
            }
          ]
        }
      }
    }
  },
  "highlight": {
    "fields": {
      "*": {}
    },
    "fragment_size": 2147483647,
    "pre_tags": [
      "@start-highlight@"
    ],
    "post_tags": [
      "@end-highlight@"
    ]
  },
  "size": 250,
  "sort": [
    {
        "order": "desc",
        "ignore_unmapped": true
      }
    },
    {
        "order": "desc",
        "ignore_unmapped": true
      }
    }
  ]
}'

In the Query the ""query": "*SESKWRESVC01" SESKWRESVC01 is the Vcenter name .Instead is there a common phrase that i can use in query to fetch the Vcenter information ?
Last edited by mcapra on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please use [code] tags for technical output
mcapra

Re: Nagios Log Dashboard for ESXI Hosts

Post by mcapra »

Just to clarify, you're trying to create a dashboard that contains all of your ESXI data, or you're trying to create a dashboard for each ESXI host?

An easy way to isolate any particular source is to give that source a dedicated port and assign a specific "type" to it. Something like this maybe:

Code: Select all

syslog {
        type => 'esxi'
        port => 2090
    }
Then point your ESXI machine at port 2090, and all of it's traffic will have the "type" field set to "esxi". You could then filter on the type "esxi" or use a lucene search like type:esxi.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
anish

Post by anish »

Hi ,

I have already created the Type for ESXi hosts and mentioned the specific port as 1514. i would like to create the customized dashboard based the information present in the Log Message .

For example here is the log message

"[FFEE4B70 verbose 'Cluster' opID=SWI-47718a25] [HBDatastore::WritePowerOnList] Writing power-on-list @ /vmfs/volumes/58495812-6453b7b5-659b-00215a9c0166/.vSphere-HA/FDM-AC76723F-58BF-49AE-B616-B8D23F5B7550-66-b6ecfff-Seskwresvc01/host-48696-poweron with 158 vms isolated=false"

In the message " Seskwresvc01" indicates the VCenter Name. So i would like to create the dashboard with the filter mentioning the Vcenter info . Is that possible . Please find the attached snap shot for further reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
avandemore

Post by avandemore »

I'm not clear as to what exactly you've tried. Generally you should refine the filter to display the data you want. Once you have that, you can save it as a dashboard for future use. Does this answer your question?
Previous Nagios employee