Nagios - Additional output

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
tcsdi

Re: Nagios - Additional output

Post by tcsdi »

Hi Supports!

For the output of nagios.

I had set config in the "global config" for our file server but I can't see it on the output.

After applying the config, do I need to manually apply it to the logstash config file (logstash/etc/conf.d0?

looking forward hearing from you!

Best Regards,
TCSDI
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Code: Select all

I had set config in the "global config" for our file server but I can't see it on the output. 
What exactly was set and where?

Nothing needs to be done to logstash/etc/conf.d0.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
tcsdi

Post by tcsdi »

Hi Support,

what should be the config here for logstash?

For example, I would like to receive logs from my fileserver and also output those logs to another server.

How would I do that?

Regards,
Christian
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

You would need to create an input for the files to come in on and an output for NLS to send data to. You should only be doing this in the web UI and not making any changes directly to the configuration files.

Most of the time the default inputs are sufficient but there are many more - https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstas ... ugins.html. You can also add other output methods - https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstas ... ugins.html.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
tcsdi

Post by tcsdi »

Hi Support,

Thank you for your reply. After doing these changes and saving, should I see it on the configuration files also?

Regards
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Yes, the files should get updated with the config you see in the web UI.
tcsdi

Post by tcsdi »

cdienger wrote:Yes, the files should get updated with the config you see in the web UI.
Hi @cdienger,

Thank you very much for helping us out.

After configuring the settings in the UI, it does not edit the conf.d once we check the file. So how can we verify if our setup is correct or do we need additional config files in order to check the setup?
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Perhaps I need to clarify - simply clicking the Save button will not write to the files. You must click "Save & Apply" to write to the files. Can you confirm if you're doing this?
tcsdi

Post by tcsdi »

cdienger wrote:Perhaps I need to clarify - simply clicking the Save button will not write to the files. You must click "Save & Apply" to write to the files. Can you confirm if you're doing this?
Hi @cdienger,

I am clicking the "Save & Apply" but the conf.d is still not updating. I have some questions though:

1. What might be the cause why the conf.d is not updating even if I press "Save & Apply"?

2. What is the correct way of updating the conf.d, should it be done via the GUI or is it ok if I edit the conf.d file directly?
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

1. What do the permission look like on the folder and the files in there? These are the permissions on my lab machine:

Code: Select all

drwxrwxr-x 2 nagios nagios   74 Jul  3 11:46 .
drwxrwxr-x 3 nagios nagios   19 Jul  2 10:26 ..
-rw-rw-r-- 1 apache apache  592 Jul  2 11:53 000_inputs.conf
-rw-rw-r-- 1 apache apache 1.1K Jul  2 11:53 500_filters.conf
-rw-rw-r-- 1 apache apache  390 Jul  2 11:53 999_outputs.conf
2. Through the GUI.

If the above doesn't help resolve the issue, please try saving and applying the changes again and then gather a profile from the system. It can be gathered under Admin > System > System Status > Download System Profile or from the command line with:

/usr/local/nagioslogserver/scripts/profile.sh

This will create /tmp/system-profile.tar.gz.

Please PM me the file but note that this file can be very large and may not be able to be uploaded. This is usually due to the logs in the logstash and/or elasticseach directories found in it. If it is too large, please open the profile, extract these directories/files and send them separately.