Log Server's Web Interface Timing Out

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
lazzarinof

Log Server's Web Interface Timing Out

Post by lazzarinof »

Good afternoon Nagios Team,

I've run into an odd issue lately, with the Log Server Web Interface. When connecting to the web interface via the Interface URL set in Global Settings (as we have for several years), the Web Interface times out in ~2 minutes, regardless of activity. At the top right of the screen, a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark appears, with the error "Could not authenticate. Invalid token given" (picture attached). This is occurring regardless of browser or security settings on the PC's end, and despite clearing cache/history.

I have found a work around, in that if I connect to a host directly using IP, I don't experience this issue (regardless of which host I connect to).

Have you seen/experienced this behavior, and do you know some way I could correct it?

Thank you!
-Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pbroste

Re: Log Server's Web Interface Timing Out

Post by pbroste »

Hello @lazzarinof

Thanks for reaching out, want to verify that the date/time/timezone is synced across and get the System Profile so we can see what is going on.

Code: Select all

date
ll /etc/localtime
grep date.timezone /etc/php.ini
grep ZONE /etc/sysconfig/clock
log server system profile:

over the System Profile if see that you are unable to access the log server web console.

/usr/local/nagioslogserver/scripts/profile.sh
The System Profile is found in '/tmp/system-profile.tar.gz'

To size down log server profile by removing extra logstash:

cd /tmp
gzip -d system-profile.tar.gz -c | tar --delete --wildcards system-profile/logstashlogs/logstash.log-*.gz | gzip - > /tmp/tmp.$$.tar.gz && mv /tmp/tmp.$$.tar.gz system-profile.tar.gz
Please send the '/tmp/system-profile.tar.gz' via Private Message,
Perry
lazzarinof

Post by lazzarinof »

Good morning Perry,

As this issue seems to be getting worse (now the web GUI is not accepting any account logins, including the nagiosadmin account, despite changing the password successfully per https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=540), would I be able to escalate this issue to a ticket? I can see in our virtual environment that CPU and Memory usage has dropped to near idle, so I don't believe that logs are being processed, and we need this system back up as soon as possible!

Thank you,
-Frank
lazzarinof

Post by lazzarinof »

I was able to run a backup from Wednesday (3/16/2022): I can now log in to the web interface, and logs are being processed again. But there appears to be some corruption, still: many links are redirecting to the home page (example: Admin→Snapshots and maintenance, or if I try to edit user permissions, it will instead just jump to the home page).

I'm scheduled to install version 2.1.12 (we're on 2.1.9) on the test environment Monday (3/21), and in prod the following Monday if all goes well. Perhaps there's hope the new version will overlay/repair whatever is happening in our environment?
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Hello @lazzarinof

Sounds like a plan, please let us know how things look after the upgrade.
We're moving to a new support system!

The Nagios Answer Hub is a place where you can get help with technical questions from our experts. There, you can quickly open tickets and join discussion boards.

Request Nagios Answer Hub access here: https://info.nagios.com/answer-hub-access-new-users

After completing the access form, you will be given access to a portal where new tickets can be created. We will keep the old customer forum sections and ticket system available for current cases to be resolved.
Thanks,
Perry
lazzarinof

Post by lazzarinof »

Good afternoon Perry,

Whatever strangeness was happening with the authentication on our initial sign in has been resolved by upgrading.

However, it appears that signing in via the Cluster's Hostname still forces the error "Could not authenticate. Invalid token given," as initially indicated. Logging in to an individual IP is working as a work around, still. So after the upgrade, we're back to square 1.

Thank you,
Frank
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Hello @lazzarinof

Thanks for following up, want to verify that some cached login creds are messing things up.

Let's open a browser to an incognito or private mode and try to login using the FQDN in the URL field and let us know how that looks.

Also check to see what results are provided when pulling from api:

curl -XGET "http://YOURFQDNHERE/nagioslogserver/api/backend/nagioslogserver_history/_search?pretty=true&q=name:new_alert&token=yourtokenhere" -k --verbose
Thanks,
Perry