Monitoring an Aggregate of PerfData

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
turella

Monitoring an Aggregate of PerfData

Post by turella »

Hello,

I have 6 physical ports that I monitor individually; each port is a 10gb internet pipe making our total internet capacity 60gb's. I am successfully graphing all of them, and have stacked the graphs so that I may see the total bandwidth of all 6.

Now, what I would like to achieve is to be able to monitor the accumulative BW of all six so that I can set threshold alarms i.e., if my total BW on all six go over 80% I want to be notified "warning" and "critical" if it goes over 90%, idea being to make sure we're not going over the capacity of our internet transport pipes.

Nagios tech-support stated there's not a way to do this - so I'm wondering if anyone has achieve this in some other way.

Thank you!
AT
kg2857

Re: Monitoring an Aggregate of PerfData

Post by kg2857 »

Write a script that runs each of the checks, sums the data and alerts if needed. Pretty simple.
turella

Post by turella »

Don't know how to write scripts and if I did I wouldn't know where to deploy it.

If anyone has ever done this and has a written script, please advise.

Thanks.
kg2857

Post by kg2857 »

The script would run from the same host as the checks you want to combine.
You might want to look into how you're checking the thing bandwidth and have a look on the echange.nagios.org site for plugins.