Active Directory Authentication and LDAP binding

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
drug

Re: Active Directory Authentication and LDAP binding

Post by drug »

I've modified the code to use ad_username and ad_password (I tried both DN notation and just using the username) but I still receive the same error in the Apache log:
res_errno: 49, res_error: <80090308: LdapErr: DSID-0C0903A9, comment: AcceptSecurityContext error, data 52e, v1db1>, res_matched: <>
The browser also now displays the following after attempting to login with an AD user (sanitized):
exception 'adLDAPException' with message 'Bind to Active Directory failed. Either the LDAPs connection failed or the login credentials are incorrect. AD said: Invalid credentials' in /usr/local/nagiosxi/html/includes/components/active_directory/adLDAP/adLDAP.php:415 Stack trace: #0 /usr/local/nagiosxi/html/includes/components/active_directory/adLDAP/adLDAP.php(370): adLDAP->connect() #1 /usr/local/nagiosxi/html/includes/components/active_directory/active_directory.inc.php(402): adLDAP->__construct(Array) #2 /usr/local/nagiosxi/html/login.php(366): active_directory_component_check_authentication('process_auth_in...', Array) #3 /usr/local/nagiosxi/html/login.php(427): check_login_credentials('TESTEDADUSERNAME', 'TESTEDADPASSWORD, Array, Array) #4 /usr/local/nagiosxi/html/login.php(59): do_login() #5 /usr/local/nagiosxi/html/login.php(27): route_request() #6 /usr/local/nagiosxi/html/login.php(2): sg_load('100590ECE1845C2...') #7 {main}
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

How are you having it connect that it doesn't connect to the RootDSE which should allow anonymous?
drug

Post by drug »

None of our AD servers allow anonymous bind through LDAP. We connect several other applications using authenticated bind without issue. Is anonymous bind a requirement for this implementation? This will be problematic for us.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

The reason why I ask is because I'm not sure if it'll work and I would like to test it and try to help you get it working but everything I've read says you can't force auth on the rootDSE per LDAP spec so I'm asking how you have it configured so that I can lab it up here.
drug

Post by drug »

I can confirm that I am unable to make anonymous binds against our AD via LDAPS. Queries only succeed with authenticated queries.
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

I think at this point we need to let the developers do their thing. We can make minor edits here and there, but this is turning out to be more than just a one- or two-line fix. There is a feature request in place, and XI has been under heavy development recently since we just released XI 5. We are also releasing a new AD/LDAP component some time this week, so we'll see if the changes get added.
Former Nagios employee
drug

Post by drug »

Just to close this out, Nagios XI 5 resolved all of our AD binding issues. Thanks.
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

Glad to hear it. I'll go ahead and close this one.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.