Nagios report filtered by Hostgroup and Servicegroup

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
rlacasse

Nagios report filtered by Hostgroup and Servicegroup

Post by rlacasse »

I'm trying to generate an availability and SLA report for a specific set of systems. Currently, I've created a hostgroup for them and I can generate a report using that but it lists all of the services for each host. I'm trying to create a report that I can use for SLA reasons but only report on key services, not all of them.

My initial thought was to specify both a hostgroup, then assign the key services to a service group, but it appears you can only select one or the other in the Reports page to filter on.

Using a service group isn't an option either since some of the key services I want to report on are common to a few hundred machines. This would mean my report wouldn't be limited to the handful of servers I'm trying to report on.

I also want to avoid creating unique services specifically for these hosts because that'll become a management nightmare having all these one-off configurations.

Any suggestions?

Currently running Nagios XI 5.3.4 and plan to upgrade to 5.4.x next week.

Thank you,
tmcdonald

Re: Nagios report filtered by Hostgroup and Servicegroup

Post by tmcdonald »

I think this would need to be a change in the Core CGI files since that is what XI references. I can ask the developers and possibly file a feature request, but I don't think there is a way to do this currently.
Former Nagios employee
rlacasse

Post by rlacasse »

Please do.

Alternatively, is there a method to only report availability on key services, and not all services?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

rlacasse wrote:Please do.

Alternatively, is there a method to only report availability on key services, and not all services?
You can create a service group that contains the host/service combinations you want to report on.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
rlacasse

Post by rlacasse »

I agree, that would solve my issue but I'm running the latest version of Nagios XI but I don't see any options of adding hosts to a service group. Also no availability to add service groups to a host. Am I missing something?
rlacasse

Post by rlacasse »

By adding specific hosts to services, I was then able to add the host/service combination to a service group and run a report again that but this is really not ideal or scaleable. It defeats all the advantages of using hostgroups for services. This is a work around for a single set of key services but a few hosts, I suppose, but not something I can use for others. The management of individual services and hosts is what I've always avoided by using hostgroups.

If the Service Group selection of services included all host+service and hosts that are part of hostsgroup, then I could use this feature.

I also tried manipulating the URL for the legacy availability report to include both hostgroup and servicegroup in hopes that it would support this kind of filtering but alas, the PHP script does not.

Still very surprised that this feature isn't already included.
avandemore

Post by avandemore »

How about downloading to csv, editing out your unwanted services and generating a report from that data? Given the constraints here, I don't see another easy way around it.
Previous Nagios employee
rlacasse

Post by rlacasse »

Yes, that would work but I was trying to avoid any manual intervention and take advantage of the scheduled report mechanism with the enterprise license so things just automatically get sent monthly.

Thanks for the suggestion.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

scottwilkerson wrote: You can create a service group that contains the host/service combinations you want to report on.
The services are tied to hosts, so just add the appropriate services to the service groups.

Notice at https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ml#service how host is required.