How to manage users for not giving them apply config rights

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
pratik.patel

How to manage users for not giving them apply config rights

Post by pratik.patel »

I have many users in nagios and some of them have rights to change/add the hosts and services config from GUI. But I do not want the changes to directly affects the nagios i.e I don't want to give them apply configurations rights and I want the changes to be verified by me before going live on nagios.
avandemore

Re: How to manage users for not giving them apply config rig

Post by avandemore »

Previous Nagios employee
pratik.patel

Post by pratik.patel »

yes I am aware about that doc.

my question is user are allowed to add/change hosts/services but should not be allowed to apply the configuration.
nagios admin need to verify the changes and then admin can apply the configuration.

So other users are not allowed o apply configuration
avandemore

Post by avandemore »

A standard user cannot do an apply configuration so I'm not sure what you are asking about. Can you send a screenshot of XI > Admin > Manage Users > [youruserthatcandoanapplyconfiguration] so we can see what you are referring to?
Previous Nagios employee
pratik.patel

Post by pratik.patel »

my question is I want to add user who can add/update hosts/services but not allowed to apply config.
Is this question still difficult to understand ?
avandemore

Post by avandemore »

Adding objects is an administrative right. Any user who is capable of adding an object or modifying an object also capable of doing an apply configuration either directly or indirectly. This is discussed in the document https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... Rights.pdf under the section "User Security Settings". There is no methodology available for "approval of changes".

Future plans for XI are referred to here: https://www.nagios.com/roadmaps/

I am told they include plans for more granularity in the permissions system.
Previous Nagios employee
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Just checking in since we have not heard from you in a while. Did @avandemore's post clear things up or has the issue otherwise been resolved?
Former Nagios employee