Host status information shows "OK: No data received yet"

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
rifelixd

Host status information shows "OK: No data received yet"

Post by rifelixd »

Hi Team,

I am quite unsure how to get status information of a host over passive checking. My remotes (Windows machines) are passively sending information to Nagios XI Server passively using NSCA. When I clicked on my Host status, I can see the status information to be showing "OK: No data received yet". Could you please advise if it is possible to show more information probably the agent status, version, etc ?
kyang

Re: Host status information shows "OK: No data received yet"

Post by kyang »

It looks like you have NSCA configured and are receiving passive checks from your windows machine? Is that correct?

Could you show us what you have defined in your NSClient.ini file?
Usually located on your windows machine at:

Code: Select all

C:/Program Files/NSClient++
Also when you mean "possible to show more information probably get the agent status, version, etc?"

Which status or version are you referring to? The windows machine status?
rifelixd

Post by rifelixd »

Hi @kyang,

Yes you're correct. I am receiving updates passively where remote will be feeding info to the Server. I just want an update to the Host status information saying last update has been received successfully at this time and if there is no update probably in specific hours, host status should be displaying Down.

At this moment, it is showing OK: No data received yet in Green.

I have attached my NSClient.ini file for your reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyang

Post by kyang »

Thanks,

I'm thinking the passive check isn't checking anything to on your host is it?

Could you send in your Nagios XI Profile? On the XI Home Page click "Admin" > "System Profile" --> "Download Profile" button
Save the profile.zip file and upload it here or PM me works too.

Once you send it or upload, please respond back to this thread.
rifelixd

Post by rifelixd »

Hi @kyang,

I have PM you the system profile. Thank you for looking into this.
Basically in my setup, passive just sends information to Server.
I would just need if there is any passive alerts received, host information to written last message received at dd:mm:yy hh:mm:ss.
I am not sure if we can set host to be displayed as Down if no passive checks received after a specified time.
kyang

Post by kyang »

Profile Received!

You could certainly use freshness checking on the services if no services have been received in x amount of time. The documentation will explain the use of freshness checking.

Starting on page 8 of the documentation.
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf
rifelixd

Post by rifelixd »

kyang wrote:Profile Received!

You could certainly use freshness checking on the services if no services have been received in x amount of time. The documentation will explain the use of freshness checking.

Starting on page 8 of the documentation.
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf
@Hi kyang, I have checked the guide document but its seems to be referring to the services status. Mine is referring to Host Information Status under Host Status.
kyang

Post by kyang »

It should work the same for hosts. They have the option of freshness checking in the CCM as well.
rifelixd

Post by rifelixd »

Hi Gurus,

I still seem to have an issue for the host. The services returns ok following the Nagios guides posted above.
I am using passive service using NCSA protocol and i would the host to return failed check if data not received over the port.

Kindly assist me.
kyang

Post by kyang »

Hello,

Did you enable the option in the nagios.cfg? Currently it is set to 0 by default. Please edit and change it to 1 and then restart nagios.

Code: Select all

check_host_freshness=1

service nagios restart
Did you also have freshness checking enabled for the host in the XI CCM?