need two contacts in service to active contact

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
jlarocque

need two contacts in service to active contact

Post by jlarocque »

Subject line might not make sense

This also affects hosts but example will be for service which affects all of them

I have a service for a server using check_disk

For alerts I put one contact (me)

I test and nothing happens so I check my contact configuration and saw this

Entry cannot be activated because it is used by another configuration
Relation to tbl_service, entry nitcife08-Data Files - deletion not possible

I tried different things but the same error so I tried adding another that I created calling it dummycontact

I check my contact configuration and the errors were gone. I then did a notification test and it worked.

I have to do this for every host and server to get the contacts to become active
jlarocque

Re: need two contacts in service to active contact

Post by jlarocque »

As I said incorrectly in the subject "I need to have two contacts in the service to activate (instead of active) my contacts"

I have also found out if I have every service in a host group and use that for certain servers I have no errors when checking my hosts but if a host has some service only for
it then when I click on hosts and select a host I have the same type of errors I have seen in a service

Entry cannot be activated because it is used by another configuration:
Relational information for chiintegtst01a of table tbl_host:
Relation to tbl_service, entry chiintegtst01a-Data Files - deletion not possible

Each Service that say deletion not possible is assigned to this host only and the only way so far to clear the error for the host is to add another host to use this service
tonyyarusso

Post by tonyyarusso »

"deletion not possible" is not an error - it's an informational message telling you that there are other things that depend on this object. If you did want to actually delete it, you would need to delete or edit those first to no longer need it.
Tony Yarusso
Technical Services
___
TIES
Web: http://ties.k12.mn.us/
jlarocque

Post by jlarocque »

I understand it is not an error my issue is the message that comes with it.

Within a service that only has one contact for alerts this comes up which makes the contact inactive until I put two contacts in the contact field.

The services that I have to add the extra contact to are the ones that say "deletion not possible"
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Generally the feedback you're looking at is feedback to the sql queries of NagiosQL, and most of the time they're not a reason for concern. If you create a service check with only one contact, then you save, and Apply Configuration, does the configuration apply without error?

If not, does the user receive notifications?

Make sure to verify the account settings for that user under the Configure-My Account Settings->Notification Preferences. Make sure that your contact has email notifications enabled.
jlarocque

Post by jlarocque »

I just did another test

I have my contact called jlarocqu in server nitcife08's system load service

It is setup to email if system load is critical (it is always critical so it is a good test)

I check my contact setup and it is setup to email for warnings and critical but it has the error below

I force a schedule check on the system load and I don't receive any email so I try it again with the same results

I then add the contact I created called dummycontact to the service for system load

The cannot be activated error goes away from my contact configuraton

I force a schedule check on the system load and I do receive an email

All my configuration updated with one contact and more do happen without an error. but again with only one contact listed the contact goes inactive

We are looking to purchase a license for nagios XI that is why I am testing.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Create the single contact using the steps you've described, Apply the Configuration, and then can you send me the config definition for that contact (minus the actual email address). The contact definition will be found in the /usr/local/nagios/etc/contacts.cfg file.
jlarocque

Post by jlarocque »

define contact {
contact_name jlarocqu
alias Unix Admin3
host_notifications_enabled 1
service_notifications_enabled 1
host_notification_period 24x7
service_notification_period 24x7
host_notification_options d,u,r
service_notification_options w,u,c,r
host_notification_commands host-notify-by-email
service_notification_commands notify-by-email
email
}
jlarocque

Post by jlarocque »

I have done more testing and have increased my time between notifications

I went to a meeting and when I came back there was an email from the system load service that had only one contact.

Then I tried to schedule an immediate check and nothing

I did nothing and again I received an email 15 mins later (the increased notification time I put into the service)

I added two contacts with the same results as the one contact forcing an immediate check not working but getting the notification 15 mins later

I am going to reboot the server restart nagios then recheck my configuration to make sure I didn't mess anything up. Then I will redo my tests to see if I can duplicate this
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Ok, I think I know what it is. Each service has a "notification delay" setting, so even if you schedule an immediate check, if you have a delay of 15 or 60 minutes, you still won't get the email until after the delay has passed. The default value in the Core Config Manager is 60 minutes, and I think it's 15 minutes by default for the XI wizards. If you set this number to 0 it should send notifications immediately.