Host Group Not Working

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
abhijeet1

Host Group Not Working

Post by abhijeet1 »

Hi,

I am frustrated with the Host Group feature.

The Host Groups shown on the Nagios XI Web Console are not at all visible in the config file /usr/local/nagios/etc/hostgroups.cfg

After the installation, localhost was configured to be part of linux-servers hostgroup. I used Core Config Manager for all the steps below.

--------------------------
Scenario 1
Step 1:
Core Config Manager -> Host Groups -> Add New. Added one new host group "Management Servers", saved and then "Apply Configuration". This was successful.

Step 2:
Checked the content of the file /usr/local/nagios/etc/hostgroups.cfg The entry for Management Servers is not present.

Scenario 2

Step 1:
Core Config Manager -> Host Groups . "Management Servers" is visible among the list of host groups.

Step 2:
Monitoring Configuration Wizard : The "Management Servers" host group is not visible among the list of host groups. So I can't make a server part of the Host Group. I proceeded without selecting any Host Group.

Step 3:
Core Confi Manager -> Host Groups. Selected "Management Servers" and clicked on Modify. Under Members selected the new server added in step 2. Clicked on Save. Clicked on "Apply Configuration". Configuration was verified successfully.

Step 4:
Core Config Manager -> Hosts. Selected the host added in Step 2. Clicked on Modify. The host is not shown as part of the host group "Management Servers" !!!

Step 5:
Clicked on "Modify" for the Host Groups. Added "Management Servers". Clicked on Save. Click on Apply Configuration.Configuration Verification fails.

Step 6:
Modify the host settings again to remove Host Group "Management Servers" . Click on Save. Click on Apply Configuration. Configuration Verification succeeds.

During all this configuration the file /usr/local/nagios/hostgroup.cfg was untouched on the machine. In fact each time I open Core Config Manager and click on Host Groups, this warning is displayed "Warning: configuration file is out of date! "
mguthrie

Re: Host Group Not Working

Post by mguthrie »

There appears to be a permissions issue with your configuration files. The verification is passing, but the files are not being written correctly by XI.

Run the /usr/local/nagiosxi/scripts/reset_config_perms script, then try applying your configurations again, they should stick.
abhijeet1

Re: Host Group Not Working

Post by abhijeet1 »

Many Thanks!!! :D

That solved the problem!