Question about Performance Graphs and %.2f_%%

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Box293
Too Basu

Question about Performance Graphs and %.2f_%%

Post by Box293 »

In this particular example I am talking about monitoring a windows host page file usage.

I look at the Service Status Detail page.
The Overview tab
The first item is "Paging File usage is 53.17 %"
The Performance Graphs tab
The first item is "Datasource: Paging_File_usage_is_%.2f_%%"
Then there is the graph
Then there is the legend for the graph
"Paging_File_usage_is_%.2f_%%"
The Advanced tab
"Performance Data: 'Paging File usage is %.2f %%'=53.179900%;70.000000;90.000000;"

Question 1
Why is it displaying %.2f_%% or %.2f %% and is it possible to fix this?

Question 2
Why_is_there_an_underscore_for_every_space_on_the_graph? Is_it_possible_to_fix_this?

Question 3
On the graph in the bottom right it says Default Template. How do I customise the graphs so it doesn't display Default Template, instead not being there or changed to what I would like?

Question 4
I understand that 'Paging File usage is %.2f %%' is from the check_nt command. When I look at the service, the arguments being passed are:
-l "\\Paging File(_Total)\\% Usage","Paging File usage is %.2f %%" -w 70 -c 90
And when I look at other simlar commands the arguments being passed are:
-l "\\Server Work Queues(0)\\Queue Length","Current work queue (an indication of processing load) is %.f " -w 4 -c 7

My question is, why in one example has "%.2f" is used and in the other example "%.f" us used?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
mmestnik

Re: Question about Performance Graphs and %.2f_%%

Post by mmestnik »

Box293 wrote:In this particular example I am talking about monitoring a windows host page file usage.

I look at the Service Status Detail page.
The Overview tab
The first item is "Paging File usage is 53.17 %"
The Performance Graphs tab
The first item is "Datasource: Paging_File_usage_is_%.2f_%%"
Then there is the graph
Then there is the legend for the graph
"Paging_File_usage_is_%.2f_%%"
The Advanced tab
"Performance Data: 'Paging File usage is %.2f %%'=53.179900%;70.000000;90.000000;"

Question 1
Why is it displaying %.2f_%% or %.2f %% and is it possible to fix this?
Can you provide a saved copy of the page in a zip file?
Cont, they wrote:Question 2
Why_is_there_an_underscore_for_every_space_on_the_graph? Is_it_possible_to_fix_this?
Well although Linux and UNIX have vary lax restrictions on file names, the tools that operate on these files(including Windows) don't handle this efficiently. Eventually the '"' around a file name with spaces must be dropped, you didn't want a file that started with a literal '"' did you? The problem happens were an OS is truly multi tasking where one task passes the file name to another. The quotes get lost and then you no longer have a single file name, you have one file name for each word. Therefore don't use non-printable(Space, Tab, and Enter are not printed, though a printer does take action for them... no inc is used) characters if you don't want some application to replace them on you. Although it is true that using a clever """'""file with spaces"'"""" would eventually be evaluated as intended, this is both ugly and difficult to work with, every place in the code has a different formula for escaping the sting and it quicly get's confusing.
Cont, they wrote:Question 3
On the graph in the bottom right it says Default Template. How do I customise the graphs so it doesn't display Default Template, instead not being there or changed to what I would like?
Sounds like a bug, I'll take a look.
Cont, they wrote:Question 4
I understand that 'Paging File usage is %.2f %%' is from the check_nt command. When I look at the service, the arguments being passed are:
-l "\\Paging File(_Total)\\% Usage","Paging File usage is %.2f %%" -w 70 -c 90
And when I look at other simlar commands the arguments being passed are:
-l "\\Server Work Queues(0)\\Queue Length","Current work queue (an indication of processing load) is %.f " -w 4 -c 7

My question is, why in one example has "%.2f" is used and in the other example "%.f" us used?
These look like URL escapes. 2f is "/". I'm not sure what f would be, 0f and 0f are valid... but they don't map to anything relevant or usable in this context.
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Can you provide a saved copy of the page in a zip file?
I've attached the file, hope this helps.

Thanks for the answer on Question 2, I can understand how this adds complexities.

I have since realised that the 2 in "%.2f" determines how many decimal points to display. When I changed the value to "%.3f" the value displayed on the Overview tab changed to 16.115%.
:geek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

I've posted this as a bug report, so our developers will take a look.