Host Groups Error

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
SomeClown

Host Groups Error

Post by SomeClown »

Greetings,

I have a fully functional Nagios Core server, but I'm looking to move to the NagiosXI product. To that end, I have it up and running and have a few hosts installed. I'm having some horrible configuration problems however... some I've found workarounds for, others not so much:

(1) Host Groups. I can create as many Host Groups as I like, I just can't add any servers to them. The second I add a server to the host group, or specify in the hostgroup creation to include a server, "apply configuration" blows up, snapshots, rolls back, etc. Haven't been able to get around this at all.

(2) Importing Linux or Windows servers is just flat broken. I imported all of my infrastructure (Cisco routers, switches, VPN appliances, ASAs, etc.) just fine. The Windows and/or Linux servers, however, completely blow up on any attempt to "verify configuration" with cryptic errors mostly pointing to how "things are different in this version..." with no real good explanation of what or why. I finally took to creating snapshots both in VSphere and on my SAN prior to "EVERY SINGLE CHANGE" since I never know when I'll get into an endless and unrecoverable loop of hell.

I'm really looking to buy this product, just for the support and some of the nice bundled features. Bottom line at this point, however, is that it seems broken out of the box.
SomeClown

Re: Host Groups Error

Post by SomeClown »

Fixed the host groups error--finally. Permissions were set to nagios.users for some @#$ reason. Changed to nagios.nagios and life is good on that one. One new issue:

(1) Service checks of windows hosts (set up using the wizard) seem to always return "null." I'm trying to remember this one... I think it was a problem in Nagios Core as well, but I can't for the life of me remember how to fix it.