Too little amount of info and How-To...

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
tathagata

Too little amount of info and How-To...

Post by tathagata »

Of course, it's very interesting to install Nagios XI. And it will (after some efforts) start to show You ping and alive for a couple of hosts. But how to tune it? The simpliest task - making some service (for example SNMP-based stats from Cisco interfaces with particular performance graphs in the corresponding tab) will be unbelievably hard to deal with, if You know nothing about cooperative work of MRTG (with rrdtool) and Nagios. The majority of plugins don't work properly, because their $ARG1$ and so on do not correspond. Trying to do smth causes You to go to /usr/local/nagios/libexec and run it, to understand what really can be done by this or that plugin. :(
What to do? Please give me some link to read about How-To-See-Performance-Graphs-For-My-Cisco-Device... Step-by-step. I'm a newb in Linux. And need a manual to perform my tasks with the help of this software. :?:
I know how to make it with MRTG (install MRTG, then cfgmaker, then indexmaker, then daemonize MRTG, and this wil start to work and start to show). But Nagios XI is more complex.
mmestnik

Re: Too little amount of info and How-To...

Post by mmestnik »

Thank you so much for your input, it's truthfully valued. I've taken from this a few suggestions.

1. That we provide help context via the web interface, the content is already there we just need to pull it from the output of --help. I can work to make this happen.
2. That there be a web based demo to the check_* commands that would allow the user to test the scripts and certain parameter combinations. This will take some doing and we may decide it's unnecessary.
tathagata

Re: Too little amount of info and How-To...

Post by tathagata »

You are on the right way!
By the way, I have received the result! Now my stats of Cisco 7206 and 6524ME are showing me all I need.
After I created my hosts with Uptime and ping performance graphs, I have clicked Configure ->Run the Monitoring Wizard->Choose Network Switch -> inserted IP address and snmp community and vendor Cisco -> it advised me to choose which ports I do want to monitor for bandwidth, and I have chosen the needed ones -> Apply, and finally after some minutes I have receved some ready to use stats in Services. With appropriate performance graphs in the corresponding tabs.
Thanks! Going futher to research. :lol: