VMWare Install Issue

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
ljjoey

VMWare Install Issue

Post by ljjoey »

I am attempting to figure out if nagios XI will work for our needs. I
am having problems installing the vmware version.

I ran through the tutorials and did what it said. However, when I get
to the last tutorial, says to put the ip in the browser and bring up
the home page. It fails to connect to the ip address. I can ping the
ip address from the same box. Is there something I am missing?
admin
Site Admin

Re: VMWare Install Issue

Post by admin »

Perhaps the apache service didn't start. If you login to the virtual machine, use the following command to check the status:

/etc/init.d/httpd status

If its stopped, use this command to start apache:

/etc/init.d/httpd start

While you're logged in, verify the ip address of the virtual machine with this command:

ifconfig

Hope that helps.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Ethan Galstad
President
ljjoey

Post by ljjoey »

I checked, Apache is running. The IP is correct.
nagiosxi1.jpg
Any other suggestions?

Actually when I said in my original post that it did not connect, that is only partiall true. It never brings up the page. However, ti does make a connection. It just sits and waits for a response. The response never comes, so, it eventually times out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What happens after you restart apache?

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/httpd restart
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Ethan Galstad
President
ljjoey

Post by ljjoey »

The same timeout occurs.

I did notice that I get one failure on startup. However after googleing it, it did not seem like it would impact this. But Maybe I am incorrect.
nagiosxi2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

This should be irrelevant.

I'm wondering about your 10.xxx address, where does that come from? Is it perhaps a user-space network emulation?
ljjoey

Post by ljjoey »

This is weird, I can't access it from the same machine the vm is running on, but others can access it from their machines. So it is working, I just can't do anything with it. I am able to rdp to another machine and then come back to my machine in a browser and it works. It just won't hook up with the VM from a browser running local on my machine.
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

I've seen this issue on VMware Workstation before.

I had Windows Vista x64 as the Host OS and running a Guest VM of Windows XP. And I could not connect the two via networking when using the Bridged networking (VMnet0). I had to do some double hopping to transfer some files around.

I did discover that if I changed the network port on the Guest VM to connect to Host-only (VMnet1) and obtained a new IP address on the XP machine I was then able to talk to the Vista machine (because the Vista machine has a virtual nic in the Host-only environment).

I never got around to finding out how to make the Host OS and the Guest VM talk to each other.