How to create a Configuration Wizard?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Box293
Too Basu

How to create a Configuration Wizard?

Post by Box293 »

Question 1
Is there any official documentation on how to create Configuration Wizards and prepare them for uploading into XI?

I've been playing around with creating my own configuration wizards and I currently have 3 configuration wizards working inside of XI.

I am now at the stage of creating the .zip file to upload the wizard to XI.

I have looked at some of the other wizards that have been uploaded to the Nagios Exchange and have seen how they have created thier .zip upload file.

When I try and upload my custom wizard in it's .zip file I get the error Wizard installation failed.

Question 2
Is there a log I can look at that explains the reason why the upload failed?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
mmestnik

Re: How to create a Configuration Wizard?

Post by mmestnik »

Congratulations for making it so far!

This is something we intend to put together. We would be vary interested in any notes on the topic you have. I assume you packed in a config.xml as included in linux-server.zip?

Code: Select all

<configwizard>
	<templates>
		<template filename="linux-server.cfg" />
	</templates>
	<logos>
		<logo filename="linux-server.png" />
		<logo filename="centos.png" />
		<logo filename="debian.png" />
		<logo filename="fedora.png" />
		<logo filename="redhat.png" />
		<logo filename="ubuntu.png" />
	</logos>
</configwizard>
Also you will need a file structure like so:

Code: Select all

./logos
./logos/centos.png
./logos/debian.png
./logos/linux-server.png
./logos/fedora.png
./logos/redhat.png
./logos/ubuntu.png
./plugins
./templates
./templates/linux-server.cfg
./config.xml
./linux-server.inc.php
I will see what I can do to get more information on this topic on Wednesday, perhaps you might get some information sooner.
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Cheers.

Currently my notes are a manual installation guide to get my wizard into the system, i.e. create commands, templates, upload plugins, images etc.

I've been using the two wizards that are currently uploaded to Nagios Exchange as a reference point [http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Ad ... on-Wizards].

However these wizards themselves fail to install when I upload them via the Manage Configuration Wizards page.

Are you able to email me a copy of linux-server.zip that you mentioned so I can analyse it?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
dave_clark

Post by dave_clark »

I had the same difficulty. In re-configuring the windowsserver.php, it would not upload via the GUI. I instead placed the file at the following location and it worked: /usr/local/nagiosxi/html/includes/configwizards.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

It's my understanding that both these Wizards were created for customers with specific needs and are being used in production. What version of NagiosXI do they fail to upload to? I'm not sure why this Wizard is not published, if you look else where on the Forum there are others reporting that this Wizards fails to install. Perhaps they can tell you where it came from.

My copy is protected under an NDA, but I'm sure the NDA holders would want you to have it. What a pickle.
md5sum linux-server.zip 6c11e74f1d3b7f1d2012190ed68a94ef
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

mmestnik wrote:My copy is protected under an NDA, but I'm sure the NDA holders would want you to have it. What a pickle.
I have created a request in the customer support forums, I should be eligible to get a copy this way.
mmestnik wrote:What version of NagiosXI do they fail to upload to?
So far I have had the wizard fail to upload esensors-websensor.zip and dhcp.zip on versions 2009R1.1F and 2009R1.1G.
dave_clark wrote:I had the same difficulty.
Thanks for the help. I am already at the point where I am ready to create a .zip file so I can upload it to Nagios Exchange and share the wizards with everyone else. I have my custom wizards manually installed however to provide a manual install guide is rather long as the end user would need to create the commands, host and service templates and this is a bit tedious, it's very open to error.