Nagios XI 5 Open Beta - Download Available

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
tmcdonald

Nagios XI 5 Open Beta - Download Available

Post by tmcdonald »

Hello Nagios Community!

As some of you may know, Nagios XI is going to have a new major release soon. The new version, Nagios XI 5, will be the first in the line to follow a naming scheme that more closely matches the major.minor.fix pattern commonly used in other projects. More importantly however is the long list of new/improved features, such as:
  • Faster, cleaner web interface
  • Wizard templates allowing saving of favorite wizard defaults
  • Importing LDAP/AD users
  • New API allowing programmatic configuration
  • Customizable email notification priority
and so much more! (And I'm not just saying that, it was really hard to pick just 5 things for this list.)

That being said, for the first time ever we will be releasing a Beta version of Nagios XI 5 for public use and feedback. We're open to anything, be it feature requests, bugs, typos, suggestions, or general comments. The Beta will be announced some time tomorrow, and if you are interested in getting a copy please post in this thread expressing your interest. We will reach out via PM once it is ready for release, and provide instructions from there. We will post the download link here and you can download to your heart's content.

All we ask in return is feedback, posted in this thread, that will help us improve the product in some way. It doesn't need to be much - just a few sentences will do - but we certainly won't turn away a complete write-up!

Thanks, and Happy Monday!

Please do not PM myself or other members of the Nagios staff about the Beta - keep all discussion in this thread!

** Update **

Thanks to everyone who participated and those who gave feedback:
  • eloyd
  • BanditBBS
  • WillemDH
  • karthek
Former Nagios employee
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Re: Nagios XI 5 Open Beta

Post by eloyd »

Oh, I am so gonna break some stuff....
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
BanditBBS

Post by BanditBBS »

I would have so beaten Eric to posting if I wasn't home sick today. I of course would love to play around with the beta.
2 of XI5.6.14 Prod/DR/DEV - Nagios LogServer 2 Nodes
See my projects on the Exchange at BanditBBS - Also check out my Nagios stuff on my personal page at Bandit's Home and at github
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

I hear Jack and Coke is good for being sick. :-)
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
WillemDH

Post by WillemDH »

Hello,

Did not have the time to test yet, but some very quick question while I prep my QA server.
Importing LDAP/AD users
Can we migrate existing local users to ad users somehow? What happens if I import a user that already exists? As I have about 70 users that are all not ad authenticated, is there some way to migrate them to an ad imported user?
New API allowing programmatic configuration
Is an apply configuration required with this new api?

How do we upgrade? Using the traditional upgrade instructions downloading latest...?

EDIT:
if you are interested in getting a copy please post in this thread expressing your interest. We will reach out via PM once it is ready for release, and provide instructions from there.
Sorry , I was a little too fast apparently :p I'll wait patiently for upgrade instructions....

Grtz
Last edited by WillemDH on Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nagios XI 5.8.1
https://outsideit.net
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

I've updated the original post to reflect the most recent beta distribution method. Old instructions are crossed out in favor of the new. @WillemDH I've asked Scott to comment on those issues as I do not have the answers myself.
Former Nagios employee
benhank

Post by benhank »

thanks! sign me up!
Proudly running:
NagiosXI 5.4.12 2 node Prod Env 2500 hosts, 13,000 services
Nagiosxi 5.5.7(test env) 2500 hosts, 13,000 services
Nagios Logserver 2 node Prod Env 500 objects sending
Nagios Network Analyser
Nagios Fusion
karthek

Post by karthek »

It would be great to a have open beta version of XI.

Looking forward.
"Machines don't make mistakes, we do."
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

WillemDH wrote:Can we migrate existing local users to ad users somehow? What happens if I import a user that already exists? As I have about 70 users that are all not ad authenticated, is there some way to migrate them to an ad imported user?
You can use a mix of both local and AD/LDAP users and switch local uses to AD/LDAP at your leisure, or leave them local.
WillemDH wrote:Is an apply configuration required with this new api?
Optional.
WillemDH wrote: How do we upgrade? Using the traditional upgrade instructions downloading latest...?
Yes, however, PLEASE do not put this beta on your production server quite yet.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

scottwilkerson wrote:Yes, however, PLEASE do not put this beta on your production server quite yet.
Well, Jeez. What's da point den?