Host details view by all users

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Naveed

Host details view by all users

Post by Naveed »

Hello,

I have installed nagios xi on Centos 7.

We have different clients those are being monitored with different users.
I have checked that all users can see the host details of all remote hosts added for monitoring, whereas few of users having admin rights with only view all hosts/services option enabled.

My requirement is:

1-Every nagios user should be only have view right?
2-No host details should be view to any other user.
3-Can we create any security group for user management, I have to added all users manually?

I would appreciate if someone would help me out.
Thank you very much!
rkennedy

Re: Host details view by all users

Post by rkennedy »

1. You can only assign read only permissions to a user. An admin will have full access.
2 & 3. You can create specific contacts, and assign them to specific hosts - that's how you're able to isolate them. As for scaling with 'security groups', we call them 'contact groups' which can function in the way of adding multiple contacts to one host / service, but also serving the same purpose I mentioned regarding isolation.

Let us know if you have any further questions.
Former Nagios Employee
Naveed

Post by Naveed »

Thank you very much for your support!

Actually I do have different clients and all those have their own separate user accounts. I have been assigned them rights to administer this from GUI as per their need.
If we provide read only access than user would not be able to administer the problems.
Is there any way to fix this issue so the other clients could not have access to view other remote servers added in nagios.

Thank you very much!
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

If we provide read only access than user would not be able to administer the problems.
Is there any way to fix this issue so the other clients could not have access to view other remote servers added in nagios.
What 'problems' do you want them to be able to administer?
Former Nagios Employee
Naveed

Post by Naveed »

Thank you for your reply.

I want to provide following rights to my clients

1-Acknowledged alerts
2-Enable/Disable alerts
3-Force Immediate check

Moreover I tried with only providing read only rights to one of my client id which results the following

1-All 4 hosts are not showing on dashboard, whereas I have double checked that all 4 hosts are part of same hostgroup and servicegroup
2-I again set same hostgroup and service group and restart configuration, but no luck so far.
3-As I provide view all hosts and services, all hosts starts showing on dashboard.

Can you please suggest whats going wrong which causing this behavior?
Thank you!
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Take a look at this document that describes how to setup users with the correct permissions for viewing and controlling hosts / services they are assigned to.
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
Naveed

Post by Naveed »

Thank you very much!

Problems resolved.
:)
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

Glad to hear you were able to resolve this issue! Is it ok if I lock this thread and mark it as resolved?
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/