WMI Error Output: ERROR: Login to remote object.

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
het.shah

WMI Error Output: ERROR: Login to remote object.

Post by het.shah »

i have configured my server for WMI monitoring exactly as per Nagios Document https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf
But when i do monitoring using Windows WMI wizard it gives me below error:
The wizard detected that the WMI plugin returned an unsuccessful output code. This will prevent the automatic scan of services and processes and prevent services from running successfully. Below is the given error output:

WMI Error Output:

UNKNOWN - The WMI query had problems. You might have your username/password wrong or the user's access level is too low. Wmic error text on the next line.

[wmi/wmic.c:196:main()] ERROR: Login to remote object.

NTSTATUS: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED - Access denied
rkennedy

Re: WMI Error Output: ERROR: Login to remote object.

Post by rkennedy »

Can you show us a screenshot of the information you're trying to enter on the Step 1 page of the WMI wizard? Does the password contain any special characters at all?
Former Nagios Employee
het.shah

Post by het.shah »

Hi Robert,

Here i attached the screenshot for which inputs I'm giving.
WMI_input.png
And also attached the error.
WMI_error.png
i read this post https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... =6&t=32450 and didn't kept any special characters in my password. my password contains only alphanumeric characters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Did you verify that all of the account settings on the Windows system are correct?
If you recently set this up, you may have to restart the WMI service on the Windows server for the changes to take effect.
Try that and see if it works for you.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
het.shah

Post by het.shah »

I tried by restarting wmi service but still error is same.
My wmi user is added to local administrator group of that server.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Can you login to the windows system and follow these steps to test to see if WMI is enabled?

Code: Select all

Launch the wbemtest program.
Click Connect...
Change root\default to root\cimv2, then click Connect.
Click Query...
Enter the following
Select * from Win32_Product
Then click Apply.
This should return a list of products. If it does, then WMI is probably fine but you may want to check the user account's name and password.
het.shah

Post by het.shah »

i tried wbemtest and it successfully listed query results.
wbemtest.png
i also tried by logging into that server using my username and password and they are working fine, so there's no issue with supplied credentials.
Error is same as before.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

The check_wmi_plus plugin uses the wmic tool to login to the remote host and retreive the data, can you login to the XI server and run the following to see if you get the sane error?
This is an example, you will need to change the <domain/username>%<password> and <IP Address> to match your server's settings.

Code: Select all

wmic -U <domain/username>%<password> //<IP Address> "Select * from Win32_ComputerSystem"
Please post the output.

Here is an example output from a working system.
wmic -U nagios/tgriep%password //192.168.1.111 "Select * from Win32_ComputerSystem"
CLASS: Win32_ComputerSystem
AdminPasswordStatus|AutomaticManagedPagefile|AutomaticResetBootOption|AutomaticResetCapability|BootOptionOnLimit|BootOptionOnWatchDog|BootROMSupported|BootupState|Caption|ChassisBootupState|CreationClassName|CurrentTimeZone|DaylightInEffect|Description|DNSHostName|Domain|DomainRole|EnableDaylightSavingsTime|FrontPanelResetStatus|InfraredSupported|InitialLoadInfo|InstallDate|KeyboardPasswordStatus|LastLoadInfo|Manufacturer|Model|Name|NameFormat|NetworkServerModeEnabled|NumberOfLogicalProcessors|NumberOfProcessors|OEMLogoBitmap|OEMStringArray|PartOfDomain|PauseAfterReset|PCSystemType|PowerManagementCapabilities|PowerManagementSupported|PowerOnPasswordStatus|PowerState|PowerSupplyState|PrimaryOwnerContact|PrimaryOwnerName|ResetCapability|ResetCount|ResetLimit|Roles|Status|SupportContactDescription|SystemStartupDelay|SystemStartupOptions|SystemStartupSetting|SystemType|ThermalState|TotalPhysicalMemory|UserName|WakeUpType|Workgroup
0|True|True|True|0|0|True|Normal boot|TGRIEP7|3|Win32_ComputerSystem|-300|True|AT/AT COMPATIBLE|TGRIEP7|nagios.internal|1|True|0|False|NULL|(null)|0|(null)|Dell Inc.|OptiPlex 9020|TGRIEP7|(null)|True|8|1|NULL|(Dell System,1[05A4],3[1.0],12[www.dell.com],14[1],15[3], )|True|-1|1|NULL|False|0|0|3|(null)|tgriep|1|-1|-1|(LM_Workstation,LM_Server,SQLServer,NT)|OK|NULL|0|NULL|0|x64-based PC|3|34299109376|NAGIOS\tgriep|6|(null)
het.shah

Post by het.shah »

Yes it worked now with domain user. with local user its not working. but its fine, we can do this with domain user.
Thanks 'tgriep' and 'rkennedy' for your help.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

That is great to hear. Shall we close and lock up this post as solved then?