NagVis Auth + Nagios XI

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
maartin.pii

NagVis Auth + Nagios XI

Post by maartin.pii »

Hi All,

I was wondering if NagVis authentication could be integrated to NagiosXI authentication.

As far as I investigated, the authentication for Nagvis is made by a Users and Roles schema in an integrated DB of NagVis.

What I wanted to know was if is there any chance to integrate it to authenticate with NagiosXI Users, since it does not have sense that you have a double auth. What is more, in my case all my NagiosXI's users authenticate to the platform through NagiosXI+Ldap integration, so it could generate confusion to users to have two passwords (to mention an issue).

Hope you are all well!

Thanks in advance,
rkennedy

Re: NagVis Auth + Nagios XI

Post by rkennedy »

There is a feature request in for this already, #9742 - to add auto login functionality for NagVis. At this point it is still waiting for the developers approval.
Former Nagios Employee
maartin.pii

Post by maartin.pii »

I understand - So untill this request is done which practice may I take?

I have like +30 users on Nagios and some of them should be able to see some maps and others not.

So which should be my strategy at this point?
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

WITH THE CAVEAT THAT THIS IS NOT SUPPORTED AND MAY NOT WORK

You can do something like the following:

Code: Select all

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Nagios"
AuthBasicProvider file ldap
AuthLDAPUrl ldap://xxxxxx:3268/dc=xxxxx,dc=xxxxx,dc ... ectClass=*)
AuthLDAPBindDN cn=xxxxx,OU=xxxxxx,DC=xxxx,DC=xxxxx,DC=xxxxx
AuthLDAPBindPassword xxxxxxx
AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off
AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd
Require valid-user

My apache conf:
<Directory /usr/local/nagios>
AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

<Directory /usr/local/nagios/sbin>
AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>
This is likely to get overwritten when XI upgrades, but you could just save that piece and add it back in after upgrades.

You'll also need to be aware of differences between Apache 2.2 and 2.4...and whatever they go to next...I'm guessing 2.6.
Last edited by dwhitfield on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: took a non-code piece out of the code block
maartin.pii

Post by maartin.pii »

It's interesting - However, I would still have the same issue - How do I match user from XI with Nagvis's roles ?

Regards,
dwhitfield wrote:WITH THE CAVEAT THAT THIS IS NOT SUPPORTED AND MAY NOT WORK

You can do something like the following:

Code: Select all

Here's what works for me (I do the same as you want to). I have this in the .htaccess file:
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Nagios"
AuthBasicProvider file ldap
AuthLDAPUrl ldap://xxxxxx:3268/dc=xxxxx,dc=xxxxx,dc ... ectClass=*)
AuthLDAPBindDN cn=xxxxx,OU=xxxxxx,DC=xxxx,DC=xxxxx,DC=xxxxx
AuthLDAPBindPassword xxxxxxx
AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off
AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd
Require valid-user

My apache conf:
<Directory /usr/local/nagios>
AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

<Directory /usr/local/nagios/sbin>
AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>
This is likely to get overwritten when XI upgrades, but you could just save that piece and add it back in after upgrades.

You'll also need to be aware of differences between Apache 2.2 and 2.4...and whatever they go to next...I'm guessing 2.6.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Since XI 5.4 just came out, we don't have a real roadmap for 5.5. I am NOT saying this will be a feature in 5.5, but it definitely won't be a feature before then. We plan for every 4-6 months per https://www.nagios.com/roadmaps/ but 5.4 came out sooner than that, so we'll see.
Nagios XI 6 is the next planned major release for Q1 of 2018
But I can't say for sure if it will be in XI 6 either.

We do offer custom development. If you'd be interested in custom development, I can get the ball rolling on getting you a quote.

Additionally, NagVis is licensed under the GPL, so you can make modifications: https://github.com/NagVis/nagvis/blob/m ... about.html
maartin.pii

Post by maartin.pii »

Thanks Guys I see what you are saying.

So to summarize all this thread, there is no way to integrate roles from NagVis with users from NagiosXI - What I have to do is to create roles and users in Nagvis and make them to work outside of the NagiosXI Auth with lDAP. Right?

Regards,
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

maartin.pii wrote:there is no way to integrate roles from NagVis with users from NagiosXI
I would just modify this to say there is no *currently supported* way to integrate roles *automatically*

Obviously, we can leave this open and if more customers say this is a priority, it will become a development priority. It's just the nature of limited development resources that some features come first. Again, keep an eye on https://www.nagios.com/roadmaps/ to see where things are headed.

We are also looking to hire more developers, so if you know a good candidate that lives in Minnesota, send them our way. :)
maartin.pii

Post by maartin.pii »

I understand! I am currently deploying a solution for a Customer that has purchased a licence so I couldn't not configure him something that is not supported by you guys.

I know lots of good candidates and I am currently developing lots of modules for Nagios products - However, I don't leave in Minnesota - If you are considering to hire someone remote let me know ;) haha

Thank you guys, this is what I wanted to know.

Regards!
maartin.pii

Post by maartin.pii »

Of course that this thread could be closed.

Regards,