Nagios agent stops whenever Windows server reboot

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
gselvakumar

Nagios agent stops whenever Windows server reboot

Post by gselvakumar »

Hi Team,

Whenever any activity is carried on Windows server/it is rebooted Nagios agent on the server stops .We are getting below mentioned error.Could please help us here to fix it.

Code: Select all

Info:CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 60 seconds
or

Code: Select all

Info:connect to address xx.xx.xx.xx and port 12489: Connection refused
Thanks & Regards,
Gomathyshankar Selvakumar
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Nagios agent stops whenever Windows server reboot

Post by dwhitfield »

Is the Windows machine being put into downtime? If not, this would be expected. Also, is this something you are able to turn back on? If so, how do you do that? That will help us automate the process for you.

Now, I'm assuming the service isn't restarting and that's what you are really asking about. If you open up Services.msc as an admin, is NSClient set to automatically start? That should be easy to change, if not. I'm assuming NSClient because of those error messages, but please let me know if you are using something else, like NCPA. What version of NSClient are you using? Also, what version of Windows and XI and anything else you think might be relevant.

Are you using the Windows firewall or some other firewall? Perhaps your firewall is not enabling all the rules on reboot, though I suspect NSClient is just not set to restart.
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

How do you fix the problem? Is the service running?

Depending on your setup, you could have GPO's blocking the service from starting. Look into what's happening with the 'nscp' service.
Former Nagios Employee
gselvakumar

Post by gselvakumar »

Hi,
Now, I'm assuming the service isn't restarting and that's what you are really asking about. If you open up Services.msc as an admin, is NSClient set to automatically start? That should be easy to change, if not. I'm assuming NSClient because of those error messages, but please let me know if you are using something else, like NCPA. What version of NSClient are you using? Also, what version of Windows and XI and anything else you think might be relevant.

Are you using the Windows firewall or some other firewall? Perhaps your firewall is not enabling all the rules on reboot, though I suspect NSClient is just not set to restart.

How do you fix the problem? Is the service running?

Depending on your setup, you could have GPO's blocking the service from starting. Look into what's happening with the 'nscp' service
We are using Ncsclient. The service is set to automatic restart.Windows version is Windows 2008 R2 (64 Bit).Nsclient version is Version-0.4.3.143 (Stable release).All the domain firewalls are off.No such GPO to block service restart.
Thanks & Regards,
Gomathyshankar Selvakumar
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Is the service ever coming back? I'm just wondering if these are temporary errors. If they are temporary errors, then I'm assuming the service is just not coming back up quickly enough. Could you please post your NSClient.ini.

Also, can you PM me your Profile? You can download it by going to Admin > System Config > System Profile and click the Download Profile button towards the top. If for whatever reason you *cannot* download the profile, please put the output of View System Info (5.3.4+, Show Profile if older) in the thread (that will at least get us some info).

After you PM the profile, please update this thread. Updating this thread is the only way for it to show back up on our dashboard.