Nagios XI OVA Network Configuration Issue

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
vcissgroup

Nagios XI OVA Network Configuration Issue

Post by vcissgroup »

I've downloaded the latest Nagios XI, logging server, Fusion and so forth and having the same issue with all 4. I don't use DHCP on my management network first of all.

So, it comes up without an IP address and no website. I noticed it boots with the E1000 Network Card driver. This is ESX 5.5 Enterprise with vSphere and vCenter. The management network is dedicated network segment and VLAN. Other VM's running fine.

I really want to test this product having looked at many other products and been disappointed. When it boots there is no website to hit so I'm using console.

On all 4 appliances, I've tried

system-config-network
Changed the IP, MASK, DNS, Save, Changed DNS, Exit and Save
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

It keeps saying I'm using a bad mask and cannot apply the IP.

I'm using a 24 Bit mask on a 192.168.1.0/24 range.

Then I tried
system-config-network-tui
Changed the IP, MASK, DNS, Save, Changed DNS, Exit and Save
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

Same problem.

Tried to VI the config file, no luck.
Did a shutdown -H now, IP simply will not take.

On any of the 4 appliances.
mcapra

Re: Nagios XI OVA Network Configuration Issue

Post by mcapra »

This is a bit out of scope, but can you share the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts entry for your adapter? Also the /etc/sysconfig/network file if any static routes are used.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
vcissgroup

Post by vcissgroup »

Not sure if I was supposed to come back and close this out but I recently repeated these steps and it was a slightly newer version and had no issues.

I did run in to the Web password issue where for some reason there is a generic password generated but all I had to do was run
Usage: /usr/local/nagiosxi/scripts/reset_nagiosadmin_password.php --password=<newpassword>

And I still don't understand the concept of using DHCP. It should put to config screen. DHCP is for workstations and phones.

Not monitoring appliances or servers.

This one can be closed out.
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Our application uses DHCP because it aims to be as easy for people to drop in as possible, and some users do not have the know-how to configure a static IP. As it stands now you just power on the box and hit the web interface, which would not be possible if you had to configure a static first.
Former Nagios employee