Help Exfiltrating Data to a Third Party

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
CamHopkin

Help Exfiltrating Data to a Third Party

Post by CamHopkin »

Hello,

I am trying to find an easy and efficient way to take the data from Nagios and share it with New Relic.

I don't want to have to pay for an agent from NR to be placed in the same places that I will have my Nagios XI stood up. We are looking to use Nagios XI solely for our network infrastructure but want to forward data to another tool for teams that need more of a single point or pane of glass. So while the network team would be ok with looking at the data directly in Nagios we just want an easy way to aggregate that data over.

I am open to ideas using Python, the Nagios API etc but haven't been able to find any good examples of going to New Relic from Nagios.

This will run on CentOS 7 64 Bit and will need to push the data for compliance reasons.
mcapra

Re: Help Exfiltrating Data to a Third Party

Post by mcapra »

It would be useful to know what sort of data you're interested in shipping to New Relic. Events? Notifications/Alerts? Anything and everything that Nagios does ever?

I can confidently say there are many people here that can tell you how to pull any and all data from Nagios XI, but I don't know a single thing about New Relic or how it ingests information. A quick glance and their API documentation has left me with more questions than answers.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

What @mcapra said would certainly be helpful. I don't have experience working with New Relic either, so it'd be helpful to know how it works and what kind of data you are looking to forward from the XI.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
CamHopkin

Post by CamHopkin »

Thank you @npolovenko and @mcapra for answering.

I would like to take information like events and alerts to send to another program such as New Relic or Data Dog, basically, another service that uses the data for business intelligence or aggregation of data.

Some commercial examples may be something like Big Panda, Ops Genie or the like.

Right now my concern is how to push data out of Nagios, maybe in JSON format so that I can have it picked up by another service.

I am not sure I am approaching this problem from the right angle.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Not New Relic, but OpsGenie has fairly good docs: https://docs.opsgenie.com/docs/nagios-rich-integration

We have docs on ServiceNow integration, if you want to see another way to do it, but I've got to throw my hands in the air (and I care, but I'll wave them like I don't) for the no-nothing about New Relic crowd.

Let us know if you need anything else. If you're a customer, or a prospect, we might be able to set up a remote session to take a look.