Monitor Interface Status by Description

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
camprior

Monitor Interface Status by Description

Post by camprior »

Hey Guys

So I'm looking at monitoring several hundred switches but I don't want to add each one individually and untick non critical ports

Basically - Im looking for a way to add a switch and only have it monitor interfaces that contain -{CRITICAL}
Is there a way to do this? Or is it not possible

Cheers

Cam
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: Monitor Interface Status by Description

Post by npolovenko »

Hello, @camprior. There's no out of the box way to do this. You could modify the source code for the switch/wizard component in XI to include some conditional statement to do that.
If the critical ports are the same on all switches:
You could run a wizard against one switch, and then use a bulk modification tool to just clone the config to other switches.
Or do the critical ports vary on every switch?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
camprior

Post by camprior »

hey @npolovenko

The critical switchports will vary from switch to switch unfortunately

Thats cool - I guess i could have a look at the switch component and attempt to add a statement to say only add interfaces that contain -{CRITICAL}
That way you don't end up with a million edge ports reporting as down and generating a critical event

Thanks for the reply
kyang

Post by kyang »

I would like to add that any changes you make to XI, will be overwritten if you do an upgrade. It's important to always make a back up in case anything happens.

Did you have any more questions?