Distributed Monitoring with Windows Environments

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
domsch1988

Re: Distributed Monitoring with Windows Environments

Post by domsch1988 »

kyang wrote:Yes, the GUI is pretty awesome.

Hmm, but that is interesting... When you added the passive check into the nrdp.cfg. Did you restart ncpa_passive service?

Can you PM or post your nrdp.cfg file for me?

Do you currently have NCPA installed on all of those Windows machines you are trying to get passive checks from?
Yes, i restart the service after every change. Otherwise the changes don't get applied.
And yes, NCPA on all Windows Hosts. Freshly installed 2.2.1.

My Configs from one Server i'm testing are attached (cleared from tokens and passwords ofc)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@domsch1988, Are you able to check the network interface with the following command from a Nagios server?

Code: Select all

./check_ncpa.py -H 10.25.14.10 -t 'Str0ngT0k3n' -P 5693 -M 'interface/LAN-Verbindung-1/bytes_recv' -d -u k -w 10 -c 100
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
domsch1988

Post by domsch1988 »

npolovenko wrote:@domsch1988, Are you able to check the network interface with the following command from a Nagios server?

./check_ncpa.py -H 10.25.14.10 -t 'Str0ngT0k3n' -P 5693 -M 'interface/LAN-Verbindung-1/bytes_recv' -d -u k -w 10 -c 100
Yes. And this works with or without spaces. With renaming the Interface i tested:

./check_ncpa.py -H 192.168.189.20 -t 'Token' -P 5693 -M 'interface/LAN-Verbindung 1/bytes_recv' -d -u k -w 10 -c 100
and

./check_ncpa.py -H 192.168.189.20 -t 'Token' -P 5693 -M 'interface/LAN-Verbindung-1/bytes_recv' -d -u k -w 10 -c 100
Both work as expected.
kyang

Post by kyang »

Since they are working just fine when running it from the CLI.

But it doesn't work for passive checks?

Are you receiving any errors in ncpa_passive.log? Which would be from the windows machine.
domsch1988

Post by domsch1988 »

kyang wrote:Since they are working just fine when running it from the CLI.

But it doesn't work for passive checks?

Are you receiving any errors in ncpa_passive.log? Which would be from the windows machine.
The only thing i'm getting ars those indicating, that NCPA splits the commands and doesn't know what to do with the second part.

WARNING:ncpacheck:Unable to parse all arguments from instruction. Mis-paired option: 3/bytes_recv
kyang

Post by kyang »

Are you running this passive check? I don't see it inside your nrdp.cfg file?

Can you show me a screenshot of that from the NCPA gui while using the API? I would like to see how that node is being defined.
domsch1988

Post by domsch1988 »

kyang wrote:Are you running this passive check? I don't see it inside your nrdp.cfg file?

Can you show me a screenshot of that from the NCPA gui while using the API? I would like to see how that node is being defined.
Yes, this is running. Screenshots are attached. One "Normal" and one with "Run as Nagios Check"
Screenshot_20180302_080702.png
Bildschirmfoto_2018-03-02_08-08-09.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyang

Post by kyang »

Can you show me what the passive check looks like when you click "View in alternate format"

I know there are some special characters that don't work listed in the NCPA GitHub issues, so I wanted to make sure.

https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/ncpa/issues/395
domsch1988

Post by domsch1988 »

kyang wrote:Can you show me what the passive check looks like when you click "View in alternate format"

I know there are some special characters that don't work listed in the NCPA GitHub issues, so I wanted to make sure.

https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/ncpa/issues/395
No Problem. The Actual Output copied:

%HOSTNAME%|<service name> = /interface/LAN-Verbindung-1/bytes_recv --warning 80 --critical 90 --units Gi
And a Screenshot to be sure:
Screenshot_20180305_100925.png
Keep in mind, that i currently have the Adapter renamed to not have spaces so that the monitoring works. I was also able to reproduce the issue on at least 4 Windows Servers (stopped trying after that).
kyang

Post by kyang »

Interesting, I'll have to try and reproduce it that way our NCPA developer can fix it if possible.

I would like to mention there is a new NCPA release 2.1.3.

Were there any more questions on this or are we all set?