Is there a limit of services in a host?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
solo_0684

Is there a limit of services in a host?

Post by solo_0684 »

Hi all,

I would like to know if there is a limit of services assigned in a host; and if there is, which is the max number of services.

Thanks in advance.
tmcdonald

Re: Is there a limit of services in a host?

Post by tmcdonald »

I would have to look into the code for Nagios Core to be sure (since that runs under the hood of XI) but if there is a limit I imagine it would be very high, and some rounded binary number (1024, 2048, etc.). I cannot recall someone ever hitting such a limit, though if you have too many services on a single host it becomes a nightmare to manage.
Former Nagios employee
solo_0684

Post by solo_0684 »

I appreciate your reply, is there any config file where I can visualize that?

My cuestión is because we use nagios API to receive since a public cloud ,certain mount of sensors at specific host in a specific moment, so we may hold 1 sensor by host or maybe 500,

But I' am concern to reach limit of sensor by host and hence lose data.

Thanks in advance.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

I don't believe there i such a document because I don't believe there is a hard limit.

That said, as @tmcdonald mentioned, it does becomes a nightmare to manage when you have many services on one host.

Additionally, this doesn't take into consideration that while there may not be an imposed limit, there is a limit to the amount of total hosts/services you can put on a physical machine however this also is not documented because it varies based on hardware, configuration and efficiency of the plugins you are using
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com