check_log alert settings

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
stonkers

check_log alert settings

Post by stonkers »

Hi! Well my admin has finally gotten check_log kind of working. The service will go orange when I test it, but 1 minute later it goes back to green and never sends an email notification. With my permissions, I found that I'm able to go to Service Detail / Click on the service in question / Go to the cog tab (configure service) / Click Re-configure this service / And then see that it's going to "Re-check the service every 1 minute for up to 5 times before generating an alert". Well the next time it checks the log, there won't be another re-occurrence unless the error is streaming so this is not how we want it set up. How do we set it up so that one error and boom it sends an alert? Note that I tried changing this to check every 0 minutes for 0 times as well as every 1 minutes for 0 times and it just goes back to the default the next time I go in. Said it saved it but it doesn't seem to have. Thanks! Eric
stonkers

Re: check_log alert settings

Post by stonkers »

It's not that I want it to stay critical all the time. I just want an email that says the log entry happened. I'm good with it clearing a minute later.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Edit the service in the CCM, and on the Check Settings Tab set

Code: Select all

Is Volatile = On
then apply configuration.

For more information on Volitile services see
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... vices.html
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
stonkers

Post by stonkers »

Thanks Scott! I'll have him try that.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

If you have further issues let us know!
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
stonkers

Post by stonkers »

He's claiming that this doesn't apply to us because we're using NagiosXI rather than Nagios Core. He's going to send me a screen shot to show what he's talking about and I'll post it here. Thanks for your help and sorry I don't have access to this so I can be more useful form my side.
stonkers

Post by stonkers »

Uhhh, nevermind, sorry! He sent me a screen shot and I see "Is Volatile" plain as day on the bottom right of the screen. I'll reply back once he's set it and I verify it works. Thanks!
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

We'll keep this open for you.
Former Nagios employee
stonkers

Post by stonkers »

So he claims he did what I asked. I have to assume he did because I can no longer see the configuration for the services. When I click "reconfigure this service" it says: This service appears to make use of an advanced configuration using the Core Config Manager. Contact your Nagios administrator to modify the settings for this service.". Yet when I add the string it's watching for to the log, it goes critical 1/5, 2/5, then goes green and never sends an alert. It still seems to be re-checking. Any clue? Anything you need me to have him check and let me know? Thanks - Eric
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

You need to make sure the "On" button is selected under "Is Volatile" and that he successfully applied configuration.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com