Nagios alerts during Downtime

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Johnsmit

Nagios alerts during Downtime

Post by Johnsmit »

Hi,

I have NagiosXI 5.4.12 running in RHEL environment. i need some information, do Nagios send alerts to external world during downtime? As i am receiving alerts during downtime. is it the expected behavior?

Thanks,
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Nagios alerts during Downtime

Post by scottwilkerson »

Johnsmit wrote:Hi,

I have NagiosXI 5.4.12 running in RHEL environment. i need some information, do Nagios send alerts to external world during downtime? As i am receiving alerts during downtime. is it the expected behavior?

Thanks,
Only if the first alert was triggered before downtime for the host/service started.

You would need to verify that the host/service is correctly in downtime, and then verify via the state history report that the non-ok state happened AFTER the downtime started.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
Johnsmit

Post by Johnsmit »

For the below service, its in downtime but still am receiving alerts, not only for that service but also for all non-ok servcies which were in downtime.

Cron Scheduling Daemon
By Nagios Administrator at 06/21/2018 16:05:03
This service has been scheduled for fixed downtime from 06-21-2018 16:04:10 to 07-31-2018 18:04:10. Notifications for the service will not be sent out during that time period.

I didn't see then in the non-ok state services after downtime but am receiving alerts.

Thanks,
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

you would have to look at the state history report to see when this service went down.

Also, you posted the comment, does the icon still show the service is in downtime as someone could have removed the downtime.

If you have a support contract you can open a ticket and send your nagios.log specifying which host/service you think is in error and we can use one of your tickets to determine if it was sending notifications in error.

https://support.nagios.com/tickets/
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com