Connect to VMware

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
chrisbuck

Connect to VMware

Post by chrisbuck »

Arrggggggg.
I hope someone can assist me in what would appear to be a simple issue.....
Ive been trialling nagios for a few weeks.
I still don;t have the ability to monitor vmware.
I run the wizard:
I get this:
length() used on @array (did you mean "scalar(@array)"?) at /usr/lib64/perl5/IO/Compress/Zlib/Extra.pm line 198.
Error: Permission to perform this operation was denied.
I'm guessing I need to do something with vmware to make this work but I have not been able to figure out what and I do not have enough vmware expereince to feel confident about making changes.
Please could someone recommend something.

thanks
Chris
tmcdonald

Re: Connect to VMware

Post by tmcdonald »

Can you verify what XI version you are using? I assume it is 5.4.13 since that is the latest but I want to make sure so we can test internally. The version number is in the lower-left corner of the interface after you log in.
Former Nagios employee
chrisbuck

Post by chrisbuck »

Nagios XI 5.4.13
So desperate to find something which will monitor my environment - but getting more and more frustrated with nagios

thanks
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

When installing the SDK did you get all the way to the end with no errors?

Also can you share the command you are running that is failing?

Finally, does the vmware user you are using have administrative permissions?
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
chrisbuck

Post by chrisbuck »

thanks for connecting with me :-)

On install I get successful - no errors but a warning thus:

the following perl modules were found on the system but maybe too old to work with vsphere cli
Please bear in mind I have installed the OVA provided by nagios so Im guessing they are all going to actually work or the OVA would have been changed
The modules are:
MIME, TRy, LWP, Socket6 and IO

Everything else looks perfect and the wizard runs fine. I have logged in to my vmware vcentre server with the root credentials (want to try at the top level just to make it work. The credentials work fine.
I have then entered these same credentials into the wizard and I get an email back from the first check which says :
CHECK_ESX3.PL CRITICAL - Error: Permission to perform this operation was denied.

I must be doing something wrong - other people are using nagios so I know the problem must lie with me - but I am following the instructions as best I can.
In answer to your questions.
I am not running a command - it is GUI based wizard which is not showing any errors
I have full permissions myself and have tried with my login as well as several others in the hope something might work!!
thanks
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Are you 100% sure you have the correct credentials?

Can you run this command replacing the IP and password

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_esx3.pl -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -u root -p <root's password> -l CPU
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
chrisbuck

Post by chrisbuck »

Untitled page.pdf
So please help me be certain that I am using the correct details please - I must be doing something wrong.

I have a vmware environment which has a vmware vcenter server as a virtual machine in the environment. That machine is a suse linux enterprise sever 64 bit
when I open the console it tells me it is a vmware vcenter appliance 6.0.0.10200
when I press f2 to "customize system" I can log in with root credentials and these are the credentials I am attempting to use in both the command line and the gui for nagios
I have attached screen shots in a PDF to this message
thanks again for your help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Open check_esx3.pl in a text editor, and add the following line on the top (below the comments):

$ENV{'PERL_LWP_SSL_VERIFY_HOSTNAME'} = 0;
Save, and exit. Test your check again. Did this change resolve your issue?
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
chrisbuck

Post by chrisbuck »

Hi Thanks for your response.

The line was already there just missing the single quote marks which I have added in (pls see attached)

I did an "apply configuration" from the GUI but unfortunately no different

I still get this when I look for guests within the GUI.
length() used on @array (did you mean "scalar(@array)"?) at /usr/lib64/perl5/IO/Compress/Zlib/Extra.pm line 198.
Error: Permission to perform this operation was denied.

Any other thoughts?

thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

And do you still get the message like the other ?

Server version unavailable at 'https://172.30.5.203:443/sdk/vimService.wsdl' at ....
This is the crux of the problem, the plugin cannot get the server version from the ESX server
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com