Nagios XI Integration and Funtionility

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
ShivaYadav

Nagios XI Integration and Funtionility

Post by ShivaYadav »

Hello Experts,

We are currently evaluating Nagios XI and would like to know the below information.

- Is there integration available with Microsoft SCOM, Oracle Enterprises Manager (OEM) and Micro Focus Service Manager
- How can we monitor disk space for combine threshold disk percentage and free space, example disk percentage should be more than 90% and free space should be less than 1024 MB, then only the alerts should be generated.
- How can we configure CPU and Memory monitoring policy to generate events only after the threshold is breached for 3 continuously interval
- We would like to record step by step and monitor web transaction and client transaction, and then the probe from different location so that we can know the response time and availability from different location.
- How can we monitoring the network interface based on the ifalias description, examples if we need to monitor only interface which ifalias description contains *UPTIME* or *FIREWALL* etc for up and down events
- How can we view the network topology map for L3 and L2 for NOC, displaying the network connection, Network neighbor and path view etc.

Regards
Shiva
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Nagios XI Integration and Funtionility

Post by scottwilkerson »

ShivaYadav wrote:- Is there integration available with Microsoft SCOM, Oracle Enterprises Manager (OEM) and Micro Focus Service Manager
Not that I am aware of.
ShivaYadav wrote:- How can we monitor disk space for combine threshold disk percentage and free space, example disk percentage should be more than 90% and free space should be less than 1024 MB, then only the alerts should be generated.
This depends on the system.
What have you tried?
ShivaYadav wrote:- How can we configure CPU and Memory monitoring policy to generate events only after the threshold is breached for 3 continuously interval
This is default behavior, you specify max connections when running the wizard

Code: Select all

Re-check the host and service(s) every ___ minutes up to ___ times before generating an alert. 
What have you tried?
ShivaYadav wrote:- How can we monitoring the network interface based on the ifalias description, examples if we need to monitor only interface which ifalias description contains *UPTIME* or *FIREWALL* etc for up and down events
when you run the switch/Router Wizard you can select what items you want to monitor.
What have you tried?
ShivaYadav wrote:- How can we view the network topology map for L3 and L2 for NOC, displaying the network connection, Network neighbor and path view etc.
You can display network maps based on parent child relationships.
Also, Nagios XI has NagVis visualization where you can creat your own custom maps however you like.
What have you tried?
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
ShivaYadav

Post by ShivaYadav »

Thanks and appreciate scottwilkerson for your reply.

First thing just to let us know that i am a new to Nagios and evaluating monitoring solution for my Organization

On monitor disk space for combine threshold disk percentage and free space,
i have tried the details plug-inn for disk utilization free space but this are two different plug-ins, i am looking for a combination of both for monitoring windows and linux OS.

On monitoring the network interface based on the ifalias description,
yes while adding the device we can add select the interface which need to be monitor, but i was looking for something dynamic when the devices gets auto discover it should automatic start monitoring based on ifalias description so that there no manually selection required.

On network topology map for L3 and L2 for NOC,
i tried "Network Status Map" and "Hyper Map" but it give all the devices and services which we have added, but not able to view the interconnected devices for example server connected to switch, switch connect to core/router etc.

Also for application monitoring simulation can we record and monitor web transaction and client based application with multiple step, what recording and play back can we use in Nagios XI.

Regards
Shiva
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

ShivaYadav wrote:On monitor disk space for combine threshold disk percentage and free space,
i have tried the details plug-inn for disk utilization free space but this are two different plug-ins, i am looking for a combination of both for monitoring windows and linux OS.
Probably the most consistent thing you can do would be to use the NCPA Agent and Wizard this will run the same checks for either system type.
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf
ShivaYadav wrote:On monitoring the network interface based on the ifalias description,
yes while adding the device we can add select the interface which need to be monitor, but i was looking for something dynamic when the devices gets auto discover it should automatic start monitoring based on ifalias description so that there no manually selection required.
I don't know of any plugins that dynamically change the interfaces being monitored by expression.
ShivaYadav wrote:On network topology map for L3 and L2 for NOC,
i tried "Network Status Map" and "Hyper Map" but it give all the devices and services which we have added, but not able to view the interconnected devices for example server connected to switch, switch connect to core/router etc.
The only way to get this type of may would be to create it yourself. We have a tool called NagVis included in Nagios XI for creating custom maps
ShivaYadav wrote:Also for application monitoring simulation can we record and monitor web transaction and client based application with multiple step, what recording and play back can we use in Nagios XI.
I do not know of any plugins that have the ability for recording and playback.

there is the Web Transaction Wizard (see page 6)
and we have some documentation on AutoIT integration
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... Nagios.pdf
as well as Selenium
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
ShivaYadav

Post by ShivaYadav »

Thanks scottwilkerson for your reply,

ShivaYadav wrote:
On monitor disk space for combine threshold disk percentage and free space,
-- Probably the most consistent thing you can do would be to use the NCPA Agent and Wizard this will run the same checks for either system type.
## I tried the NCPA agent you can either configure disk utilization percentage or disk free space plug-ins, but cannot use both together disk percentage and free space together.

ShivaYadav wrote:
Also for application monitoring simulation can we record and monitor web transaction and client based application with multiple step, what recording and play back can we use in Nagios XI.
--I do not know of any plugins that have the ability for recording and playback.
there is the Web Transaction Wizard (see page 6)
## Inserting steps between the transaction which is also call web injecting has to be manual XML code, there is no web transaction recording.

Once again thanks and appreciate for your support.

Regards
Shiva
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Glad to help how I can
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com