Process Check Alert in Nagios

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
akumarhe1868

Process Check Alert in Nagios

Post by akumarhe1868 »

Hello,

I am trying to configure the process check in Nagios to get alert during database down.

Below is the check command working fine with the result"OK: Process count for processes named ora_pmon_databasename was 1"

-t 'xxxxxxxx' -P xxxx -M 'processes' -c 1: -q 'name=ora_pmon_xxxx,match=search'

I am not sure when we get an alert during database down.

If database down, threshold comes to 0 and will get an alert?

Can anyone please explain and clarify the doubts?

Appreciated everyone help here.

Thanks,
Anand
mcapra

Re: Process Check Alert in Nagios

Post by mcapra »

akumarhe1868 wrote: If database down, threshold comes to 0 and will get an alert?
That would depend on what plugin you're using. The plugin name is not included in your original post, so all we can do is assume the plugin being used based on the arguments you've provided.

I'll assume this is an NCPA based check using check_ncpa.py. Here is the documentation for the processes module:
https://www.nagios.org/ncpa/help.php#ap ... -processes

Which, based on the query of name=ora_pmon_xxxx,match=search, will return a problem status (> 0) if the binary name of ora_pmon_xxxx does not appear in a search of all processes. The process could be totally hung, the ports could no longer be listening, but as long as it is indeed registered as a Linux process the check will return an OK status (0).
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

Thanks, @mcapra!
@akumarhe1868, Please let us know if you have any other questions.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
akumarhe1868

Post by akumarhe1868 »

No Questions. Thanks.