Getting /var file system service monitor by default

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
ganeshsambandam

Re: Getting /var file system service monitor by default

Post by ganeshsambandam »

So if i add the particular service to the host group, then will have the same service comes as default when adding new server along adding to the host group? Is that correct ?
jforcier

Post by jforcier »

Correct, if you add a service to a host group every host in that group will obtain that service.
ganeshsambandam

so you want to remove hostgroup "Linux-servers" in the services and have hostgroup tagged only in the hosts? Is that correct ?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

ganeshsambandam wrote:so you want to remove hostgroup "Linux-servers" in the services and have hostgroup tagged only in the hosts? Is that correct ?
Yes, unless you are creating a service that you want to be added to EVERY member of the hostgroup
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
ganeshsambandam

So we should not add host group in all the services including cpu, memory, swap, /var, /tmp and other file systems ?

we have the host group added to all the services, but why only /var service getting monitored by default though it doesn't exist in the server?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

ganeshsambandam wrote:So we should not add host group in all the services including cpu, memory, swap, /var, /tmp and other file systems ?
Only if you want to add the service to every member of the hostgroup and you do not already have a separate service config for the host.
ganeshsambandam wrote:we have the host group added to all the services, but why only /var service getting monitored by default though it doesn't exist in the server?
When I looked at the /var services described, ONLY the one service template I mentioned had the hostgroup added.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
ganeshsambandam

why we are only getting /var service in all the hosts which are part of hostgroup ? How do we remove the /var stale service from all the servers which doesn't have /var mounted and they are showing as critical but not showing in CCM to delete.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

ganeshsambandam wrote:why we are only getting /var service in all the hosts which are part of hostgroup ? How do we remove the /var stale service from all the servers which doesn't have /var mounted and they are showing as critical but not showing in CCM to delete.
I already answered this here, you need to remove the hostgroup from the service
https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... 90#p262176
scottwilkerson wrote:Go to CCM -> Services
select ohcinxunix.gale.web from the template dropdown
Edit "/var Disk Usage"
Click the Hostgroups button
you have linux-servers added here, which means this will be added to every host in linux-servers
Remove that.
Close
Save
Apply Configuration
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
ganeshsambandam

Sorry i forgot to check next page.

I have removed host group from /var service in ohcinxunix, so if i add new server i will not get /var service gets added by default? Is correct ?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

ganeshsambandam wrote:Sorry i forgot to check next page.

I have removed host group from /var service in ohcinxunix, so if i add new server i will not get /var service gets added by default? Is correct ?
Not unless you select it, that is correct
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com