Synthetic Monitoring via NagiosXI

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Sampath.Basireddy

Synthetic Monitoring via NagiosXI

Post by Sampath.Basireddy »

Hello There,

I am trying to setup Synthetic Monitoring using Selenium via NagiosXI following the link https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... 1524063342.

I am running into issues with getting the prerequisites installed. For example Selenium IDE: Perl Formatter is no more available for the current version of FireFox. Not sure if that is still a dependency.

Also, with respect to GUI installation on CentOS or Linux, I am not very familiar with this. My question though is, when GUI installed on CentOS, when launching GUI from my PC, does it launch the GUI like how a Windows Server is accessed via RDP?

Did anyone implement successfully this in your environments?

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks,
SB
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: Synthetic Monitoring via NagiosXI

Post by npolovenko »

Hello, @Sampath.Basireddy. Yes, looks like the "Selenium IDE: Perl Formatter" is no longer supported by the latest versions of Firefox. I will report this issue internally so we can fix the article.

To answer your second question, you'd need to enable RDP access separately on Linux. Another alternative is to use VNC, which also needs to be enabled.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
Sampath.Basireddy

Post by Sampath.Basireddy »

Thank You @npolovenko.

So the selenium script does run in the foreground? If that is the case, the session to Linux box should be active/open always as long as the script is running, right?

I used to do this with HP UFT Scripts and that was done via HP BSM using BPM Collectors.
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

Sampath.Basireddy wrote:So the selenium script does run in the foreground?
The Selenium Server configuration used in the aforementioned documentation requires an active browser session mounted to a Window management system like X. It then points the appropriate webdriver (for Firefox, Safari, Chrome, whatever) at that browser session.

There are headless options for Selenium (that run "in the background") which aren't mentioned in the Nagios XI integration documentation. Most independent drivers have a flag you can set to run in "headless" mode.
Sampath.Basireddy wrote:If that is the case, the session to Linux box should be active/open always as long as the script is running, right?
As long as whatever system user is responsible for running the Selenium server has an active X session, and the Selenium Server process is running under that same (or elevated) user, that should be good enough. Your mileage may vary depending on the host operating system, but I believe this holds true for the recommended default CentOS 7 DVD installation that the documentation was written against. Additionally, there are line-items in the documentation for automatically logging in the user to establish an X session (see the "Configure CentOS 7 To Automatically Login" section).
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

Thanks, @mcapra! @Sampath.Basireddy, Please let us know if you have any other questions.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.