Nagios XI - Auto Discover

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
GeneralCuriosity

Nagios XI - Auto Discover

Post by GeneralCuriosity »

Hello

I am looking for an article or support document that outlines the Auto Discover capacity. I am aware that this function uses a combination of Ping and NMAP to discover hosts and that it leverages the same to provide details on OS, etc.

I am specifically looking for information, a list, of what all devices it is known to discover or what the Nagios official support stance on discovering and identifying is.

I have reviewed all support.nagios documents on Auto Discover and did not find these details.

Thanks in advance
GeneralCuriosity

Re: Nagios XI - Auto Discover

Post by GeneralCuriosity »

Adding some additional detail. The NMAP website states it includes over 2600 OS fingerprints in the nmap-os-db from the devices below, but it does not have a specific table or detailed list to review.
  • general purpose (windows and linux)
    bridge
    broadband router
    firewall
    game console
    hub
    load balancer
    media device
    PBX
    PDA
    Phone
    Power-device
    Printer
    Print server
    Proxy server
    Remote management
    Router
    Security-misc
    Specialized
    Storage-misc
    Switch
    Telecom-misc
    Terminal
    Terminal server
    VOIP Adapter
    VOIP Phone
    WAP
    Webcam
Does Nagios have a stance on the support of discovery or is it just whatever NMAP can pick up? In other words, is Nagios doing anything proprietary with the results to improve discovery beyond what NMAP provides?
benjaminsmith

Re: Nagios XI - Auto Discover

Post by benjaminsmith »

Does Nagios have a stance on the support of discovery or is it just whatever NMAP can pick up? In other words, is Nagios doing anything proprietary with the results to improve discovery beyond what NMAP provides?
Hi @GeneralCuriosity
Regarding the internal workings of Auto-Discovery that's really a developer question, but what I can tell is that you are correct, the component uses systems tools like namp, traceroute and ping to help discover devices on your network. It's an approximation as to the operating systems and services based on tests and public ports. Consequently, we don't have a position on what operating system or services it can accurately detect.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

Using Auto-Discovery in Nagios XI
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/n ... s-715.html
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!