Email notifications not working

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
manimurugesan

Email notifications not working

Post by manimurugesan »

Hello Team,

I have try to send test email but i am not able to send i am getting below error

A test email was sent to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
----
Mailer said: [01-03-2019 18:02:30] The following From address failed: xxxxxxxx : Called MAIL FROM without being connected,,,SMTP server error: Called MAIL FROM without being connectedSMTP server error: Called MAIL FROM without being connected (method=smtp;host=<SMTP server ip>;port=25;security=none), Referer: admin/testemail.php
An error occurred sending a test email!

Could you please help us resolve this issue ?
benjaminsmith

Re: Email notifications not working

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello @manimurugesan,

Please verify you are using the correct port number for your SMTP server, and try the following:

1. Re-enter the username and password and select update, and try to send a test email.

2. Try selecting either TLS or SSL for authentication, and send a test mail.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
manimurugesan

Post by manimurugesan »

Hello,

I have tried with TLS or SSL for authentication, but still i am getting below error

A test email was sent to <mail id>
----
Mailer said: [01-07-2019 16:37:16] SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/ ... leshooting (method=smtp;host=<SMTP server ip>;port=25;security=ssl), Referer: admin/testemail.php
An error occurred sending a test email!

i have checked port 25 only we have mentioned in mail settings and port is opened only all firewall rules and everything is same as per that working server
As i said in old version email notification is working but new version we have to change anything ?
In SMTP server any connection need to be establish ?
Please let us know
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi @manimurugesan,
This may also appear as SMTP connect() failed or Called Mail() without being connected in debug output. This is often reported as a PHPMailer problem, but it's almost always down to local DNS failure, firewall blocking (for example as GoDaddy does) or another issue on your local network. It means that PHPMailer is unable to contact the SMTP server you have specified in the Host property, but doesn't say exactly why. It can also be caused by not having the openssl extension loaded (See encryption notes below).
According to troubleshooting guide, it looks like this is most likely due to dns, firewall or network issues. Follow the instructions in the link below to enable the SMTP debug log, then send a test email again and post the error for us to review.

PHPMailer - Troubleshooting Using Debug Logging
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/p ... g-820.html
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

manimurugesan

Post by manimurugesan »

Hello,

As per your instructions I have enabled SMTP debug log but I am getting error Please find the below ss for the same
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi @manimurugesan,

These kinds of issues are usually the result of configuration settings. Did you have email notifications working for this account before? If so, did you make any changes to your server?

Turn on the debug log, tail the log file, send a test email and post the output for us to review.

Code: Select all

tail -F /usr/log/phpmailer.log
Also, what version of php are you using?

rpm -q php
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

manimurugesan

Post by manimurugesan »

Hello,

I have turned on debug log and checked PFB Command out

But In one of the server emil notification is working properly we are facing issue for few server's all the server's showing same error.

tail -F /usr/log/phpmailer.log
tail: cannot open ‘/usr/log/phpmailer.log’ for reading: No such file or directory
tail: cannot watch parent directory of ‘/usr/log/phpmailer.log’: No such file or directory
tail: inotify cannot be used, reverting to polling

rpm -q php
php-5.4.16-45.el7.x86_64
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Sorry, the command given was incorrect, the file is here

tail -f /usr/local/nagiosxi/tmp/phpmailer.log
The other unanswered question was
Did you have email notifications working for this account before?
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
manimurugesan

Post by manimurugesan »

Hello ,

yes before few monhts email notification was working but now it is not working .
Last edited by manimurugesan on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Were you able to run the following?

tail -f /usr/local/nagiosxi/tmp/phpmailer.log
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com