NSClient .ini file issues

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
sakaufma1

NSClient .ini file issues

Post by sakaufma1 »

I recently started using Nagios, I installed it on a few Windows servers so far. I don't understand what's going on with the .ini file though. After running the installation for the NS Client, it creates the .ini but it's missing much of the information. It seems to only be putting in the password and allowed hosts. I've been having to go in and copy and paste missing pieces I found from googling this issue.

Am I doing something wrong? Why am I having to manually edit the .ini file and add things like using port 12489?
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: NSClient .ini file issues

Post by lmiltchev »

When you open the nsclient.ini file in a text editor, you would see a few commands on the top of the file. You can use them when needed. For some reason, nsclient.ini file doesn't include all of the options by default. So, in order to populate the file, you would need to navigate to the NSClient++ directory, and run the following command from the CMD prompt in Windows (as administrator):

Code: Select all

nscp settings --generate --add-defaults --load-all
Open the file again in a text editor to view all of the options. Make sure to review the documents below:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

After modifying the file, you would need to restart the NSClient++ service, so that changes can take effect.

Hope this helps.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
sakaufma1

Post by sakaufma1 »

OK, but is this always a manual step that needs to be done when installing the NSClient on a Windows server? I have it working, but it just seems odd that every single Windows server I install it on, I'll have to manually edit the .ini file.

And if I do have to manually edit this every install, should I consider using SNMP or WMI instead?
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

NSClient++ is not developed or maintained by us (Nagios), so we don't really have control over it. I often wondered why the defaults are not loaded on a new install, but I haven't found an answer to that. You can probably ask this question on the NSClient++ support forum.
And if I do have to manually edit this every install, should I consider using SNMP or WMI instead?
You could use either one. I would recommend using NCPA though. You can read about the Nagios Cross-Platform Agent (NCPA) here:

https://www.nagios.org/ncpa/
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!