Trying to do a bulk import with minimal manual input

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
sakaufma1

Trying to do a bulk import with minimal manual input

Post by sakaufma1 »

I'm sure what I'm going through is common, so hopefully there's a better answer than what I'm running into. We are setting up Nagios for the first time so I need to get everything set up for the first time on all hosts and services.

I have some hosts and some services on those hosts setup and being monitored currently. I found out about the bulk import and got excited because of how easy it was. I could do a silent install and get the NCPA client on all the Windows servers we want to monitor. I can setup one host and use it as the Host Template which will take care of most of the checks we want to do and run the Bulk Import wizard and add all our servers at once.

The problem I'm seeing is I don't see a great way to add the server/host specific stuff we'll want to monitor. Sure, I can go into the Core Config and manually add services and add the hosts and the arguments to perform the checks we want, mostly services and processes that will be specific. That's not really quick, nor is it easy, especially to people with limited Nagios experience.

You could make that argument that running the NCPA Wizard and being able to select services and processes to monitor there would be easier and faster than manually doing the services to someone who isn't familiar with Nagios just due to the wizard being more straight forward.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to add all the individual, server specific checks we'll have to add?
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: Trying to do a bulk import with minimal manual input

Post by cdienger »

For the services you could create a check for each individual service you wish to monitor and then apply those services to multiple hosts or hostgroups accordingly. For example, say you have three machines with services a,b,c,d that you'd like to monitor and broken down like:

machine1:
a and b
machine 2:
b, c, d, and
machine 3:
d and e

You would create 5 services(to monitoring a,b,c,d,e ), and on each service there's a "manage hosts" button you would click that to then apply service A and B to machine 1, service B, C, D and E to machine 2, and service D and E to machine three.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.