Switching from Nagios XI to Nagios Core

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Jacobcullen

Switching from Nagios XI to Nagios Core

Post by Jacobcullen »

Hello,

I have installed and begun monitoring windows hosts on nagios core, but I had around 200 websites being monitored on nagiosxi is there any way to import those hosts from nagiosxi to nagios core? All of the documentation I have found is about importing from core to xi.

Right now my company would rather put the man hours into switching it over rather than pay for nagiosxi but I've run into a roadblock without creating all of the host documents by hand in nagios core.

Any information you can provide would be helpful.
mcapra

Re: Switching from Nagios XI to Nagios Core

Post by mcapra »

You should be able to just copy the Nagios XI configuration files to your Nagios Core machine. You'd need to make sure your main nagios.cfg file has the correct paths to load those configurations, though.

Plugins and dependencies aside (because that's a whole other can of worms), you should be able to copy the main nagios.cfg file as well as all existing Nagios XI directories/files referenced by the cfg_file and cfg_dir directives right onto your Nagios Core installation. That should get you all your configuration objects loaded onto the Nagios Core machine.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
benjaminsmith

Re: Switching from Nagios XI to Nagios Core

Post by benjaminsmith »

Thanks @mcapra. As Matt suggested, you'll need to go through your check commands, contacts, time periods..etc and make sure they are valid entries.

You can verify configuration by running the following command:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
Nagios Object Definitions
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... tions.html

Let us know if you have any other questions.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!