Return code of 127 is out of bounds. Check if plugin exist

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
CAG1704

Return code of 127 is out of bounds. Check if plugin exist

Post by CAG1704 »

Hi Support,

I have completed the VMWare SDK setup and it seemed to have completed successfully, however, I am receiving the above as soon as I add a VM Host to my Nagios using the VMWare Configuration wizard.

Kindly note that I am monitoring a lot of other windows servers with no issues.

I have also used the NagiosXI ESXi image that was downloaded from your site.

Can you please assist me in getting this resolved?

Kind Regards,
Coenie
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: Return code of 127 is out of bounds. Check if plugin exi

Post by npolovenko »

Hello, @CAG1704. Could you send in your Nagios XI System Profile so I can review it?
To send us your system profile. Login to the Nagios XI GUI using a web browser.
Click the "Admin" > "System Profile" Menu
Click the "Download Profile" button
Save the profile.zip file and send it to me in a private message.

And also, let me know the name of the VMware host that is having issues.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
CAG1704

Post by CAG1704 »

Good day Support,

Please find attached Nagios profile.

There are 2 VM Hosts, both having the same issue.

1S-CTN-VMW-002
1S-CTN-VMW-003

Kind regards,
Coenie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CAG1704

Post by CAG1704 »

Good day support,

We are in the process of doing a POC with NagiosXI and I could really use your help to get this resolved.

Kindly provide me with an update at your earliest convenience.

Regards,
Coenie
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi @cag1704,

Did you follow the instructions for setting up VMware monitoring in the following guide?

Monitoring VMware With Nagios XI

You maybe either missing a Perl module or have incorrect permission settings. What is the output of the following command?

Code: Select all

ls -l /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_vmware_api.pl
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
CAG1704

Post by CAG1704 »

Hey Benjamin,

I have followed the post to the T, however I think that there is something wrong with the Perl5 stuff. I'm still very noob with linux and nagiosXI.

Please see the attached output from the command you sent me.

How can I undo the changes I made for the VMWare SDK and try again?

We have a local backup that's running every night at 9 to the local backup folder /Store/Backups/nagiosXI.

If I do a restore, will this restore the entire nagiosXI system? If so, then I can run a restore and follow the instructions again to set up the VMWare SDK.

Please advise.

Regards,
Coenie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@CAG1704, First, please ssh into the Nagios XI server using Putty or any other software, run these commands from the command line and show me the output:
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_vmware_api.pl -H 192.168.3.44 -f "/usr/local/nagiosxi/etc/components/vmware/1S_CTN_VMW_002_auth.txt" -l "VMFS"
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_vmware_api.pl -H 192.168.3.44 -f "/usr/local/nagiosxi/etc/components/vmware/1S_CTN_VMW_002_auth.txt" -l "IO"
How can I undo the changes I made for the VMWare SDK and try again?
1 Change to the directory where you installed vSphere SDK for Perl (default is /usr/bin).
2 Run the vmware-uninstall-vSphere-CLI.pl script.
The command uninstalls vCLI and the vSphere SDK for Perl.
If I do a restore, will this restore the entire nagiosXI system? If so, then I can run a restore and follow the instructions again to set up the VMWare SDK.
Restore only restores Nagios XI files and directories. System packages will not be affected. So that will not work. Unless you have a VM snapshot that you can restore.

My recommendation, for now, is to run the commands I provided above. That should give us some more information on the type of error we're facing.
CAG1704

Post by CAG1704 »

Hi there,

Please find attached output.

Regards,
Coenie
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@CAG1704, When you said there's something wrong with Perl, how did you find out? Did you install a custom version of Perl, did you install Perl to a different location, etc?
Please run the following commands from the console:
cpan
install Digest::SHA
And then rerun the command I gave you earlier again and show me the output.

Finally, please run these commands to get some information about the version of Perl you're running:
perl -V
perl -v | grep version