System Component Status are Red

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
ITOMB_IMT

System Component Status are Red

Post by ITOMB_IMT »

Hi,

we have Nagios XI 5.5.11 running on RHEL 7.5, when i logon to XI i see the system components are RED most of the time. Monitoring Engine, Monitoring Engine, Database Backend flaps all the time, so is it expected behavior? Does nagios works better with flapping System Component Status?

Thanks,
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: System Component Status are Red

Post by cdienger »

This usually indicates a problem. Please PM me a profile from the system(Admin > System Config > System Profile > Download Profile) and I'll take a closer look.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
ITOMB_IMT

Post by ITOMB_IMT »

I have sent you a pm with the system profile, please have a look.

Thanks,
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

How frequently does the flapping happen? When was the last time you saw the problem? I've gone through the profile but nothing is jumping out as an obvious problem. If you can supply the date and time of when this may have happened, I can search through the logs a bit more efficiently.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
ITOMB_IMT

Post by ITOMB_IMT »

Flapping occurs frequently every day might be for every 30 mins or even less. I toggles between green and red. i cannot say exact time.
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Were there problems recently with the remote database? On the 14th it looks like it became unavailable for some reason. Try running the repair script and let us know your results:

/usr/local/nagiosxi/scripts/repair_databases.sh
ITOMB_IMT

Post by ITOMB_IMT »

I ran the script i see the nagios tables are ok, but the nagiosql and nagios xi tables shows doesn't support repair.
nagiosql.tbl_command
note : The storage engine for the table doesn't support repair
nagiosxi.xi_auditlog
note : The storage engine for the table doesn't support repair
nagiosxi.xi_auth_tokens
nagios offloaded database repair succeeded
nagiosql offloaded database repair succeeded
nagiosxi offloaded database repair succeeded
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

That's okay and expected on newer systems using innodb.

Do you have a lot of users on this system? Applying configurations does require stopping and starting services so you may notice flapping in the web UI if changes are frequently made to the system.
ITOMB_IMT

Post by ITOMB_IMT »

cdienger wrote:That's okay and expected on newer systems using innodb.

Do you have a lot of users on this system? Applying configurations does require stopping and starting services so you may notice flapping in the web UI if changes are frequently made to the system.
I have currently 5 users, and does the flapping status effect the application monitoring capabilities?
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Check are not able to run if the Monitoring engine isn't running but will be run when it comes back online. Same with the database - it will not be updated/can't be read from if it's not running. Are you noticing any behavior in the gui like checks not running when they should be or not updating with results?