Nagios Xi - SMS Handler

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Eireocean

Nagios Xi - SMS Handler

Post by Eireocean »

Good Day,

How do add handler for sending sms's ... this is all that is listed :

I cannot seem to get sms's generated. I have tested, sms and emails, and all works fine. Test emails and email notifications are working.

Any ideas ...

Regards
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: Nagios Xi - SMS Handler

Post by npolovenko »

Hello, @Eireocean. First you need to enable phone notifications under Notification Methods and Notification Preferences.
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

The notification commands would be: xi_host_notification_handler for hosts and xi_service_notification_handler for services.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
Eireocean

Post by Eireocean »

Sorry for late reply ... busy with other things. We are approaching the end of our POC and still I cannot get this to work with notifications.

I had already followed your document provided. I am not sure if it relates to the fact we add users from LDAP and then contacts are automatically created via that process.

If someone need info about our config please let me know. Happy to provide.

Regards
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@Eireocean, I'd like to review your configs from the system profile.
To send us your system profile. Login to the Nagios XI GUI using a web browser.
Click the "Admin" > "System Profile" Menu
Click the "Download Profile" button
Save the profile.zip file and send it to me in a private message.

Also, let me know the name of the host or service that went into a critical state, but Nagios didn't send out an SMS.

Go to the Admin menu in the web interface, click on Email Settings in the left column and make sure that you're using the SMTP server. A lot of mobile carriers will reject email to SMS coming from unknown mailing servers.
And make sure that "Send From" email address is using the company domain name and not root@localhost.

In the same menu click on "Enable logging with "internal mail component".
Untitled.png
And the next time Nagios is supposed to send an email, please upload these log files:

Code: Select all

/var/log/maillog
and

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagiosxi/tmp/phpmailer.log
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@npolovenko, I recieved the profile and shared it with the support team.
In the meantime, were you able to check the mail settings and turn on the debug logging?
Also, are you expecting to receive SMS for all hosts and services on this XI or just for the specific ones?
Eireocean

Post by Eireocean »

Afternoon,

Currently, using Nagios Core, we define certain alerts to be via email and the rest via SMS. This is due to the fact that after hours most do not check for mails.

Regards
Eireocean

Post by Eireocean »

Afternoon,

I have attached screenshots of notifications and setting for one service.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@Eireocean, First, you have xi_service_notification_handler assigned as an event handler to the service check on the screenshot. I'd recommend unassigning this event handler. Otherwise, it will trigger a notification every time the service changes a state(even a soft state).

Have you tried triggering a test notification? Are you recieving both email and sms message?
Untitled.png

Go to the Notification methods tab on the screenshot, then click on Mobile Text tab and make sure Receive text alerts to your cellphone is checked. Go to Notification preferences and check notification options under Mobile Text(SMS) tab.
Currently, using Nagios Core, we define certain alerts to be via email and the rest via SMS.
Can you explain how this is achieved?

Have you turned on the debug logging under email settings and checked the log after the SMS message was supposed to go out?
Eireocean

Post by Eireocean »

Morning,

As per /usr/local/nagiosxi/tmp/phpmailer.log when sending test notifications which I receive fine :

[06-19-2019 08:20:46] Message sent! (method=sendmail), Referer: account/testnotification.php > PHPmailer Test
[06-19-2019 08:20:46] Message sent! (method=sendmail), Referer: account/testnotification.php > Mobile Test

As per Nagios Core notifications, we defined a sms contact and a email contact. I have more time today to look at testing some more today and see if I can provide further feedback.

Regards
Eireocean

Post by Eireocean »

Upgraded from 5.6.0 to latest version via upgrade script ... now SMS's and emails coming through. Including historical messages it appears.