problem with service history

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
parisa

problem with service history

Post by parisa »

Hi
I faced with an issue, I have installed last version of Nagios XI and I use passive check for monitoring.
according to log (snmptt.log), I have received a fault trap at Thu Jun 6 15:05:03 and also recovery trap for it at Thu Jun 6 16:36:31, I am able to see the recovery in service status on Nagios, but when I try to see service history, there was not any log related to that time.
It should be noted, I recently upgraded Nagios XI to version 5.6.2 and offloaded MySQL to a remote server.

And I have another question, when I check a service in service status, the status information of that service is completed but when I check it in service history, the status information of that service is not completed.

I would be apprecitaed if you could help me to solve the cases.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by parisa on Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: problem with service history

Post by npolovenko »

Hello, @parisa. Did the service history log stop catching entries for services after you upgraded XI? Can you confirm whether other(active) services are producing State History log entries during state changes?
I am able to see the recovery in service status on Nagios
Did the XI service status turn red(critical) for the SNMP checks at some point of time? Or was the status message "green" the whole time?
If that is the case please read the following KB article, and especially this part:

Code: Select all

HOLD ON!!! Even though the Status Information says USERS WARNING the Status column is still Ok
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=77
But when I check it in service history, the status information of that service is not completed.
Could you clarify what you mean by "not completed"? Can you show this on a screenshot?

Thanks
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
parisa

Post by parisa »

Hello, @npolovenko
Thanks for your reply, this problem has been solved.
Can you confirm whether other(active) services are producing State History log entries during state changes?
I use passive check (SNMP Trap)
Did the XI service status turn red(critical) for the SNMP checks at some point of time? Or was the status message "green" the whole time?
I don't have any problem with my hosts and my services, I get trap based on my configuration, the state of my services are changed correctly.

I only had a problem, after upgrading Nagios and DB and offloading DB, in (Reports -> Available Reports -> State History), there was not many records, it seemed that a lot of records was not created in the section. (it should be note that old records was existed in the section)

I modified size of "output" field in table:nagios_statehistory and problem was solved, it seems Nagios delete state history records if output field is more than 256 characters.( I didn't have this problem before, there was the record but only showed 256 characters.
Did the service history log stop catching entries for services after you upgraded XI?
Actually I don't know how the problem was existed, but I didn't have the problem until I upgraded Nagios and offloaded DB, also I upgraded DB from MariaDB 5 to MariaDB 10.3.13 (I think, this problem maybe was related to upgrading MariaDB), I'm not sure.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Glad it is resolved.

This was likely because of the version of mysql/mariadb on the offloaded DB

See this article
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/n ... s-780.html
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@parisa, Thanks for sharing your solution, I'll keep this in mind if I come across similar cases.
I'll be closing the thread as resolved.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.