Checking the age of multiple files

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
IkaIka

Checking the age of multiple files

Post by IkaIka »

Hello, I'm having an issue with the check_file_age plugin. While it seems to be working when pointed to a specific file or directory, I've been asked to set up a check for all files within a specific directory. I tried fiddling with the command syntax with varying degrees of success. The goal here is to have Nagios check every single file within the target directory and fire a warning/critical event if either of the files exceeds the threshold.

Code: Select all

command[check_file_age]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_file_age -w 14400 -c 345600 -f /path/to/target/directory/*
This line seems to work fine at first glance, however it only checks a single file (first in alphabetical order), ignoring other ones.

command[check_file_age]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_file_age -w 14400 -c 345600 -D /path/to/target/directory -f *
The --help output had me believe the -D flag sets the target directory, making the file path set by the -F flag relative to it. This doesn't seem to be the case. Using the -D flag alone makes the plugin check only the modification date of the target directory itself, when used with -f or -F it gets completely ignored and in this case, the plugin checks the age of my /bin directory.

I'm also confused about the usage of the -f and -F flags. The --help text says -F is used to supply target file path and -f is shorthand for --prefparse, however some of the documentation claims -f is used to supply target file path.

My Nagios version is 5.5.7, running on CentOS 7. The monitored server is running Debian 7.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: Checking the age of multiple files

Post by npolovenko »

Hello, @IkaIka. This plugin seems to be able to work with only 1 specific file. You may find a different plugin on the https://exchange.nagios.org/ or write your own plugin. Here's a simple example that uses the find command.

[root@centos7x64 libexec]# cat fileAge.sh
#!/bin/bash

age=$1
path=$2

command=`find $path -type f -mtime +$age -name '*'`

if [[ $? != 0 ]]; then
    echo "Command failed."
elif [[ $command ]]; then
    echo "Error! Files found."
    exit 2;
else
    echo "Ok! No files found."
    exit 0;
fi

[root@centos7x64 libexec]# ./fileAge 1 /var/log/
Error! Files found.
Where 1 means find all files older then 1 day. And /var/log/ is the directory where to look for files.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
IkaIka

Post by IkaIka »

Thank you, @npolovenko. Your script was very useful, I've worked it into our monitoring setup and it's already doing its job. This solves the problem.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

IkaIka wrote:Thank you, @npolovenko. Your script was very useful, I've worked it into our monitoring setup and it's already doing its job. This solves the problem.
Great!

Locking thread
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com