Temporary name resoloution failed when creating a sensor

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
bkeating178

Temporary name resoloution failed when creating a sensor

Post by bkeating178 »

I am trying to create sensors using the following variable in the command but I am getting the attached error every time regardless of the sensor or arguments that I use.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong here?

This has worked on other sensors so it seems like the issue is the command/variable cannot resolve the hostname of the machine it is being attached to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: Temporary name resoloution failed when creating a sensor

Post by npolovenko »

Hello, @bkeating178. Please save this configuration as it is, then go to the XI home page, find the service check and see whether it's working or showing the same error.
Could you also send in your Nagios XI System Profile so I can review it?
To send us your system profile. Login to the Nagios XI GUI using a web browser.
Click the "Admin" > "System Profile" Menu
Click the "Download Profile" button
Save the profile.zip file and send it to me in a private message.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: Temporary name resoloution failed when creating a sensor

Post by npolovenko »

@bkeating178, I don't think you can pass $HOSTADDRESS$ inside the $ARG1$ macro. It might work on the home page as I mentioned earlier. Please check.
If it doesn't work on the home page, you may need to use the actual IP instead of the $HOSTADDRESS$ or add this macro to the command itself:

Code: Select all

$USER1$/check_postgres.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$
And then delete -H $HOSTADDRESS$ from the $ARG1$ field in the service check settings.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.