Using Regular Expressions in Core Config Manager searches

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
alanjoseph

Using Regular Expressions in Core Config Manager searches

Post by alanjoseph »

How can I enable regular expression searching within Core Config Manager? I have attempted changing the following in nagios.cfg, with no results =(
We have thousands of services associated with our core routers, and I would like to create Service Groups for each of our HFC nodes and need to activate specific interfaces/services within CCM, and doing it manually is a PITA. :roll:

use_regexp_matching=0 (default)
changed this to ...
use_regexp_matching=1

As a quick test, after making the use_regexp_matching=1 change within nagios.cf, and then applying changes / restarting nagios, I tried using the * wildcard within a search to no avail:
nagios-no-regexp.PNG
Here is the search results with no wildcard. I would like to use a regular expression to search for like "9/12" & "Bandwidth" as I don't need "status" within the Service Groups I am defining, and I want to limit the number of checks we are performing across the 10,000+ interfaces I need to monitor.
nagios-search.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: Using Regular Expressions in Core Config Manager searche

Post by cdienger »

That config option will not have an impact on the CCM search. Would just searching for "Bandwidth" help? Regex searches don't appear to be an option so I would have to file a feature request but that may take a while to get included.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
alanjoseph

Post by alanjoseph »

That explains why I couldn't get it work LOL

Unfortunately a search only on "Bandwidth" wouldn't work, as that would display about 2,500 interfaces, and I instead want to limit my search results to the Bandwidth service for a specific range of interfaces so that I can easily deploy them into Service Groups.

Perhaps there are better ways to do this "under the hood" via scripting, though alas that is not in my wheel house and we were hoping to use Nagios XI based on it's intuitive graphical user interface ;-)

I would love to see this submitted as a feature request. It will make my life an order of magnitude less painful.

Thanks,
Joe
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

I filed an internal feature request - it's in the approval queue. Please keep in mind that the decision to implement the enhancement is at the sole discretion of our development team. Thank you!
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!