Network Bandwidth utilization issue

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
manimurugesan

Network Bandwidth utilization issue

Post by manimurugesan »

Hello Team,

We have network switch monitoring ,when we check in nagiosxi graph for one of the bandwidth utilization it's showing 112 Mbps input rate, but when we check the switch i can see the 150 Mbps input rate .

could you please tell me nagios is calculating the average utilization ?
because i can't see the live data utilization on nagiosxi graph utilization there is no spike at all ?

Please help us to get live data is there any way to fetch this utilization?
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: Network Bandwidth utilization issue

Post by cdienger »

By default the bandwidth is averaged over 5 minute intervals. It _may_ be possible to get it to average over 1 minute intervals, but in return this could cause higher load(especially if you have a lot of bandwidth graphs).

The frequency that the devices are checked is controlled by /etc/cron.d/mrtg. The data is then stored in rrd files in /var/lib/mrtg. These store data in 5 minute steps. I believe the next step would be to save them in one minute steps. From there I believe the bandwidth check and the rrd file that that creates would need to be modified.

Like I said, this _may_ be possible, but there are no guarantees. mrtg and rrd is open source if you're inclined to look into this - https://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-rrd.en.html.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.