Configuing Windows WMI - Error

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
mamir

Configuing Windows WMI - Error

Post by mamir »

Hello Support,

Below is error receiving while it is working on some servers others, receiving below error, the WMI service is running fine and the account is also added on Administrator group as well. Please, help for below error.

The wizard detected that the WMI plugin returned an unsuccessful output code. This will prevent the automatic scan of services and processes and prevent services from running successfully. Below is the given error output:

WMI Error Output:

UNKNOWN - Plugin Timed out (15 sec). There are multiple possible reasons for this, some of them include - The host 10.250.3.21 might just be really busy, it might not even be running Windows.
mcapra

Re: Configuing Windows WMI - Error

Post by mcapra »

Did you follow the steps detailed in the official documentation for setting up the WMI service user?
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

Are you using a domain user? Are you providing a DNS record when connecting to the host, or using an IP address?

Typically these sort of failures mean the WMI query never reached the destination machine's WMI service -- for either connectivity or authentication reasons. Can you share the output of the following command executed from the CLI of you Nagios XI machine, replacing <host_ip> with the IP address of the host you are attempting to monitor, as well as <username> and <password> with the service account's credentials. When you share the output, be sure to remove any sensitive information:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_wmi_plus.pl -H <host_ip> -u <username> -p <password> -m checkcpu -w '80' -c '90' -d 
There's also a general purpose troubleshooting document available with some steps you can try:
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/n ... g-579.html
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
mamir

Post by mamir »

Hello Support,

Yea, i have followed the first document & put in all the settings, but these settings, i didn;t had to do on the other servers, which I was able to add without these settings, however just for testing, I have addtiionally i have applied the settings on this document: https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

Also, when I run the command mentioned, below, I see the below -bash event found, although in brackets, i put in the username and password.

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_wmi_plus.pl -H <> -u <> -p <> -m checkcpu -w '80' -c '90' -d
-bash: event not found

Please, let me know next steps.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

you don't want to actuall put in the <>

use this replacing the proper values for host_ip, username, password

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_wmi_plus.pl -H host_ip -u 'username' -p 'password' -m checkcpu -w '80' -c '90' -d 
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mamir

Post by mamir »

See the error below, I get when I run this command on Nagios: /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_wmi_plus.pl -H host_ip -u 'username' -p 'password' -m checkcpu -w '80' -c '90' -d

STATE FILE: /tmp/cwpss_checkcpu__host_ip___.state
Round #1 of 1
QUERY: /usr/bin/wmic '--option=client ntlmv2 auth=Yes' '-U' 'USER%PASS' '--names pace' 'root/cimv2' '//host_ip' 'select PercentProcessorTime,Timestamp_Sys100NS f rom Win32_PerfRawData_PerfOS_Processor where Name="_Total"'
OUTPUT: [librpc/rpc/dcerpc_connect.c:329:dcerpc_pipe_connect_ncacn_ip_tcp_recv() ] failed NT status (c00000b5) in dcerpc_pipe_connect_ncacn_ip_tcp_recv
[librpc/rpc/dcerpc_connect.c:790:dcerpc_pipe_connect_b_recv()] failed NT status (c00000b5) in dcerpc_pipe_connect_b_recv
[wmi/wmic.c:196:main()] ERROR: Login to remote object.
NTSTATUS: NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT - NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT

Could not find the CLASS: line - an error occurred
WMI DATA:$VAR1 = undef;
UNKNOWN - The WMI query had problems. The target host (host_ip) might not be rea chable over the network. Is it down? Is host_ip the correct hostname?. The host might even be up but just too busy. Wmic error text on the next line.
[librpc/rpc/dcerpc_connect.c:329:dcerpc_pipe_connect_ncacn_ip_tcp_recv()] failed NT status (c00000b5) in dcerpc_pipe_connect_ncacn_ip_tcp_recv
[librpc/rpc/dcerpc_connect.c:790:dcerpc_pipe_connect_b_recv()] failed NT status (c00000b5) in dcerpc_pipe_connect_b_recv
[wmi/wmic.c:196:main()] ERROR: Login to remote object.
NTSTATUS: NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT - NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

And you made all the changes mentioned in this document starting the service, opening the firewall etc?
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

Do you have a hardware firewall between the XI server and this Windows server that could be blocking the connection?
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com