Nagios XI: Scalability & data storage

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
JulianCo

Nagios XI: Scalability & data storage

Post by JulianCo »

Hello,

I am writing a paper about monitoring tools but I can't find a lot of information about the scalability of Nagios XI. Can somebody explain to me how Nagios XI can be scaled? How many assets (devices, services, etc.) Nagios XI can support?

Another question I have is which data Nagios XI stores in the databases (Historical data). What does the historical data consist of?

I hope somebody can help me! :D

Thanks,
Julian
mcapra

Re: Nagios XI: Scalability & data storage

Post by mcapra »

JulianCo wrote:Can somebody explain to me how Nagios XI can be scaled?
The hardware requirements page is a good place to start:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ements.pdf

Strictly speaking, it depends. If you have 1000 checks that all require traversing entire SNMP trees, those checks will probably require more resources than 1000 checks that are querying a single OID. WMI, SNMP, NCPA/NRPE, various plugins, use of mod-gearman to distribute work, required retention periods for data/logs, just a few things that can/will influence performance.
JulianCo wrote:Another question I have is which data Nagios XI stores in the databases (Historical data). What does the historical data consist of?
Off the top of my head:
  • Flat, plain-text logfiles
  • RRDs
  • MySQL database records
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
benjaminsmith

Re: Nagios XI: Scalability & data storage

Post by benjaminsmith »

Thanks @mcapra!

Good luck on your paper and let us know if you have need clarification on anything or have any other questions.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!