Duration Triggered Notifications

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
gpanou

Duration Triggered Notifications

Post by gpanou »

Hello,

Notifying users on a duration-wise way would greately improve our insight on our customer's infrastructure condition.

I know this can be setup through first notification delay and rechecks definitions, although this way we would miss some important spikes.

Right now we cannot get notified when a service is quietly in utility for a dangerous time period, eg medium BW traffic lasting 10h.

One thought of mine is to define the Warning state a lot lower than critical and add somehow in the notification logic a time period threshold that triggers the alert. Or even at both states.

Is there a way we can implement this right now?

Is it a future plan?

As far as I can tell I can implement this through the REST API although it would require constant requesting the Nagios Server.
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: Duration Triggered Notifications

Post by cdienger »

A couple thoughts:

You may want to look in to escalations. They work based on the number of notifications that are sent out so you can setup something that would send out an escalation notification if a service is specified state for X amount of time.

Setting the maximum check attempts to 1 will send notifications and alert you right away when a spike is detected.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.