SNMPTT.log is written by delay

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
parisa

SNMPTT.log is written by delay

Post by parisa »

Hi,
I have installed Nagios XI 5.6.5 and added about 500 host and have 6000 services related to the hosts. I use passive check (SNMP Trap), I faced with issue from two days ago.
I receive traps by delay in snmptt.log ( the delay is around 1.5 - 2 hours) it seems the snmptt is very busy and when I try to restart the service , it takes more than 1 minutes.
when I checked system resources, it was in normal situation but snmptt process and after it snmptrap process are highest processes of ssytem.

I don't know what is problem and I don't know how to find cause of the problem.
would you please guide me to find reason of the issue.

Thanks
Parisa
tgriep
Madmin

Re: SNMPTT.log is written by delay

Post by tgriep »

There is a default sleep setting in the /etc/snmp/snmptt.ini file that could be causing the delay after all of the additional traps that are being received now.

This it the option description and the default setting.

Code: Select all

# Amount of time in seconds to sleep between processing spool files
sleep = 5
What I thing it that in 5 seconds, there are so many new traps received that the snmptt daemon cannot process them all in 5 seconds so to fix this, change that setting to 1 second and restart the snmptt daemon.

That will allow the daemon to process the traps every 1 second and hopefully it can keep up with the extra traps.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!